Wireless no longer connecting to network?

lindy 20:51 30 Sep 2008

Hi

I had a problem with my computer last week and I had to alter the router state. the computer which is hard wired is now working fine, but my laptop isn't. The wireless network connection starts looking for the router, finds it then says that it is acquiring the network address, then changes to cannot find, then back again to acquiring network address. I contacted Orange [who is the broadband provider] but they weren't any good, apart from advising me that my wireless card was broken! [What else could it be if they can't fix it!]

Anyhow, I do manage to get around it by opening up the wireless network connection and disabling 'Use Windows to configure my network settings' then the system automatically finds the network and connects. But of course it also means that the next time I start the laptop up, it doesn't even look for a network, as the utton is disabled.

I'm sure there's a simple answer here, but I'm not sure what it is. Can anyone help. By the way I'm running XP.

T0SH 22:09 30 Sep 2008

The clue to your problem is in your post

"I had a problem with my computer last week and I had to alter the router state"

ask yourself why would you alter your router to fix a problem with your PC ?

surely if the PC had a problem you would fix the PC

So can I suggest you revert the router back to where it started and post with the details of the PC`s problem

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?