Wireless neworking wots needed & how

User-402BA281-1CFE-4FE3-9D45502C58B38958 13:08 26 Feb 2005

I am looking to set up this network, i want to connect 3 PC's with 1 printer & 1 scanner with also a PS2 if poss, my laptop has the wirless network card and my 1 pc has the pci wirless card i gather i need to get a wirless router so does that mean i need to get another pci card for 2nd pc and wot do i need to connect the PS2 and the 2 pherpials to the network
Thanks in advance

Stuart

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:37 26 Feb 2005

at the links on this thread first

click here

I'm sure it will answer most of your queries, then come back with any remaining questions.

CaleI 19:49 26 Feb 2005

Sorry I dont know how to connect your PS2, but if it's got an RJ45 connection slot then it will plug straight into your router.

Assuming you have broadband you will need will need a wireless router. If your existing modem only has a USB / RJ11(Normal Phone line Cable) connector, you will need to buy a router with a broadband modem built in. Youll find it hard to find one that your modem can connect to. Watch out for connection speeds. The old 802.11b's are slow wheras the new 802.11g's are much faster in terms of data transfer. (check your laptop spec as if it's 802.11b you wont be able to get the faster speeds. 11b routers are cheaper, but 11g's tend to allow both formats, so if you plan to upgrade your laptop net card in the future you'd be wise to buy one that is 11g.

So, basically, youre 2 desktop PC's will be connected to the modem/router via cable, and your laptop via Wifi.

YOu will need a network card on both desktops and a wireless card for your laptop. YOu will also need to purchase 2 sections of cat 5e cable for your laptops.

CaleI 19:51 26 Feb 2005

sorry the last paragraph should read "for your desktops"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?