WIRELESS NETWORKS

andy8491 16:16 02 Dec 2006

i have recently bought a d link 524 wireless router and i have connected it to my ntl broadband router. the internet now works on both my laptop and my computer, but.. i would like to file share. i do not know how to do this as there is nothing on the computer about the router or that it is part of a wireless network. is there anyway you could help me by giving me a guide through of file sharing and what to do on both computers without messing anything up and keep my computers settings normal. thanx andy

mgmcc 21:14 02 Dec 2006

As a router isn't "installed", either as hardware or as software in a computer, you won't find any reference to it.

Make sure that both your PC and your laptop are in the same "Workgroup".

Set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

You should then be able to access the shared folders in the remote computer by going into "My Network Places".

andy8491 23:13 03 Dec 2006

finally i have figured out how to do the file sharing and printer sharing although.. with the printer sharing it asks me for a disk to install a driver to the laptop. i found out the only thing blocking my connection was the cpmputer's firewall i now have to figure out what the port is to allow my laptop to connect whenever without having to disable my firewall.. any help im using norton internet security 2005:)

Forum Editor 23:18 03 Dec 2006

to install the printer driver on the laptop just download the driver (to the laptop) from the manufacturer's website.

andy8491 18:08 04 Dec 2006

anyone no how to help me to unblock my firewall from stopping connections it is norton internet securrity 2005 and i dont no the port which it is on

mgmcc 21:16 04 Dec 2006

There should be a section within the Norton Firewall for allowing access to computers in your Local Area Network, but it won't involve "port forwarding".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?