Wireless Networking Set Up Problems

plays54 10:02 17 Jul 2006

Help!!!!

I only use a laptop (Fuji-Siemens)and connect to the internet using a ADSL Speedtouch USB modem.
The phone line and ADSL connection are via a single (spliter) box installed by the phone company. I want to use the laptop from another room so purchased a Belkin High Speed 54g modem/router.

After disconnecting the USB modem and connecting the Belkin to the phone splitter and then a cable connection to the laptop I can no longer connect to the internet. I have succesfully(?) connected to the modem and can view the Belkin setup details on IE web browser. What am I missing to complete the connection?

Do I have to set up the laptop with a cable connection to the modem and internet first (as I don't have a fixed computer) before going wireless with a Belkin USB adapter?

rgds

plays54

mgmcc 12:24 17 Jul 2006

You need to connect the laptop to the router by ethernet cable and then access the Setup pages by entering 192.168.2.1 into your web browser. It then has to be configured to connect to your ADSL provider, by entering your logon and other details. Once that has been done, when the router is powered on, it should automatically connect to the ISP and you should have internet access in any computers connected to the router.

If that has worked, you then configure the 'wireless' settings so that you can connect wirelessly from the laptop and remove the ethernet cable. You need to make sure that its wireless capability is "on" and that its SSID (network name) is being 'broadcast' (and should change it from the default name to one of your own). Get that part working first and then set up encryption to prevent unauthorised access to your wireless network.

To get online wirelessly with the laptop, you need to "Connect" to the wireless network. In other words, you run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it. Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

ade.h 13:29 17 Jul 2006

Post back if you need specifics about Belkin security setup. I'll need the model number and revision.

plays54 21:18 17 Jul 2006

Thanks mgmcc and ade.h for your help but no luck.

After setting up the modem/router and booting up laptop (connected with Ethernet cable) managed to get to Belkin Wireless ADSL Modem Router Set-up Utility page on IE browser and input required settings - however No Connection to internet followed.

Modem/router model is Belkin F5D7633uk4.

ade.h - used your internet connection configuration (4 steps) from a previous post. Screens are slightly different from 7633 set-up - but I noticed that in step 4 the Status page in the 7633 set-up screen does not have the grey disconnect and connect buttons for the internet.

When I type an address e.g. click here in my browser there is no internet connection and sometimes get error message "no dial tone".

What's gone wrong???

ade.h 21:42 17 Jul 2006

Are you following the steps in the PDF manual and inputting the correct connection details? You should first see this screen http:www/hillier.f2s.com/images/newconnection.PNG and move on from there. There's not much to enter; VPI/VCI are standard for everyone and the encapsulation is usually VC-Mux.

ade.h 21:43 17 Jul 2006

Forgot the double forward slash click here

plays54 21:57 17 Jul 2006

Do not see the page you have posted. More like the WAN > Connection type page from one of your previous posts.

I choose PPPoA as my previous USB internet connection was via a Speedtoch log in screen.
After choosing PPPoA I input my username and paasword from my ISP.

But no iternet connection after saving changes.

ade.h 22:21 17 Jul 2006

All UK ADSL services are PPP over ATM, so you were right to choose that. But you should be accessing the New Connection Wizard, the first page of which is in my link. In the 7632, it's reached from the Advanced sub-heading of Internet WAN and I believe the process is substantially the same on the 33, if my memory's right. I've only used one 33 versus a few 32s, so I may have to check the manual, which is not on the PC that I'm using now.

It's getting late now, so I'll try to check it tomorrow and reply if you haven't got any further in the meantime.

plays54 07:43 18 Jul 2006

ade.h - Thanks for your help.

After typing in 192.168.2.1 I do not get your click here... page.

The first page I see is the Belkin "Status" page. After clicking on the Setup Wizard button I'm taken to the Login screen. Leaving password blank and clicking on Submit button takes me back to Status page.

In order to access WAN connection settings page I have to use the left hand menu. After putting in the connection settings I get the restart / reboot screen ... 35 seconds later I get ok setup message.

On the face of the modem/router the
- power icon is lit up - green
- LAN status LED is lit up - green
- WLAN status LED is lit up - green
- ADSL LED is lit up - green
- Internet LED is lit up - green

However, typing in another URL web page address in the browser only gives me the Not connected message box with options connect or work offline. Pressing connect gives the dialling message screen quickly followed by No dial tone message.

nob14 13:37 18 Jul 2006

didn't you get a disk with a manual on it?

look here click here=

plays54 13:49 18 Jul 2006

Yes - got the CD with the manual on it.

But so far - whether I follow the manual or the advice from other similar postings - same result - setting up modem/router is ok - just NO Connection to the internet!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone