Wireless networking question

ricvic 11:47 27 Jul 2007

I am setting up a wireless network in a victorian brick building with a recently added conservatory. All components are netgear. The access point is in the old building. The pc is in the conservatory. Connection is very flaky and drops more than it connects. As an experiment I took a laptop which I know connects well to my home network. The laptop has a good signal by the doorway in direct line of sight approx 3m from the access point. This drops to a poor/nil signal 2m further away on the other side of the conservatory away from line of sight. The wall between the two is double skin brick 0.25m thick.
Questions: could this be to do with the aluminium frame of the conservatory? If so how do I get round it?
If that is not likely,any ideas why the signal drops so dramatically? Faulty access point?
Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions. R

tobyb121 12:23 27 Jul 2007

I have the same problem with my conservatory, you could try a wireless access point, sometimes called range extenders, though these can be quite pricey. I have also once seen a small ethernet adapter that plugs into a mains socket, and then plugs into the wireless router and then uses the mains circuit in your house as an ethernet line, click here but these seem quite expensive too.

ricvic 16:13 27 Jul 2007

Thanks Toby. It must be the curse of conservatories!

ambra4 16:48 27 Jul 2007

Also look at this site for Network Home Plugs

Range from 14Mbps-200Mbps

click here=|c:1237|&Sort=0&Recs=10

ricvic 17:06 28 Jul 2007

Replacing the netgear pci card with a usb adaptor on a long cable seems to have solved the problem. I can place the adaptor in line of sight. (Anyone want a second hand netgear wireless adaptor?) R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?