Wireless networking question.

simon_lambert 16:09 11 Feb 2007

Ok, I have two computers which I would like to connect wirelessly.

1st: A good PC with 256MB Ram, connected to internet, with printer.

2nd: Much more powerful, no internet or printer.

The PC's cannot be switched round. I would like to be able to use the printer on the 2nd machine, share files, and play multiplayer games, and share an internet connection.

What hardware will I need for this? Posting URLs of good hardware is also helpful. Thanks, Si

Batch 16:26 11 Feb 2007

Assuming that your internet connection is broadband, then to keep it simple, both PCs will either need USB (for wireless) or a network connection port for wired.

Then you'll need a Wireless ADSL (i.e. broadband) Modem Router plus a USB wireless adapter for each PC that you wish to connect wirelessly and a network cable for each one that is to be wired (it is always recommended that at least one is wired).

Then the Router connects to the internet and both PCs connect to the router (as a network hub). Then each PC can access both the internet and the other PC via the Router.

Ebuyer has a fair selection of kit (click here). But make sure what you buy is a Wireless ADSL Modem Router. You'll also find packages that include a USB wireless adapter with the Router.

Strawballs 16:59 11 Feb 2007

We also need to know if your internet connection is cable (virgin Media) or through a phone line because they use different typs of router.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?