Wireless networking problems

Claire7 11:14 21 Apr 2006

I have a 3 year old pc with no ethernet port. I purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router and appear only to be able to connect this to my pc through an ethernet cable which I do not have. I bought a pci networking card but my computer does not seem to be detecting it despite the fact i have windows xp. Also, the card appears to be slightly too short for the port. I bought the router in order to connect my laptop to my telewest broadband connection. Please help!!!
Thanks.

pipedream 13:11 21 Apr 2006

When you say "too short for the port", what do you mean? Presumably you're trying to fit it in one of the PCI slots on your motherboard (they're normally white)? You should have got a network cable included with the router.

Claire7 19:27 23 Apr 2006

I mean that when I try to fit it into the motherboard slot although it clicks into place, the length of it seems too short. I did get a network cable included with the router but I cant connect it to my pc because there is no port for it to fit into. Sorry if i am not making sense but I dont know much about it!!

ade.h 19:49 23 Apr 2006

For expediency, plug the supplied RJ45 cable into the Ethernet port of your laptop and configure it that way. 192.168.2.1 into the browser's address bar.

Although it is essential to use an Ethernet-connected client PC to configure a router (a) for the initial setup and (b) whenever altering a wireless-related or ADSL-related setting, you do not have to continue to use the router and its clients in this way.

Then you can worry about the PCI card later and not be without an internet connection.

pipedream 13:18 24 Apr 2006

Ah, when you said PC networking card I thought you meant a wired network card, into which you would plug your cable - is it a wireless PCI card you've fitted then? Still not sure why it appears too short though.

mgmcc 14:38 24 Apr 2006

<<< Still not sure why it appears too short though. >>>

A "mini" PCI card? Some internal modems plug into mini-PCI slots which are smaller than the standard slots. I believe mini cards may also be used inside laptops. If this is the case, it is unlikely to work when plugged into a standard PCI slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache