Wireless networking problem using BT Business HUB

danny-188819 19:21 23 Jun 2006

I have set up a wireless network. Six PC's and a laptop working in a small building over two floors. Was fine at first, except one PC with a USB adaptor was picking up the connectivity on an intermittent basis even though the BT modem/router was only five metres away up some stairs.

One day later and connectivity is lost to the shared documents on the network and IP addresses aren't found creating limited connectivity, even though the signal strength is reported as being excellent.

My inclination is to replace the BT hub with a Linksys modem/router with the enhanced antenna, but could the problem be more than just insufficient signal strength for the small building.

Any help and advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Chris147 21:05 26 Jun 2006

Have you set up the IP addresses on your machines manually, or are you using DHCP?

danny-188819 07:28 27 Jun 2006

I am using DHCP, thanks for replying

Chris147 11:11 27 Jun 2006

Ok.

Make sure all the PCs have unique names (if you're running XP right-click on My Computer and go to Properties).

Check out the TCP/IP Properties for each network connection (on the PC) and make sure it is set to "Get IP Address Automatically". If you know the IP Address of the 'Port' on the router that connects to the network, you can enter it into the Default Gateway text box.

You'll need to reboot each PC after you've made any changes.

You can test connectivity bewteen your PCs (and your router) by opening up the "DOS" screen - Run, 'cmd', Enter - and typing 'ping computername' and pressing Enter, where 'computername' is the name of the PC you want to connect to.

danny-188819 15:52 27 Jun 2006

Thanks for replying.

I applied all of your advice and some ideas of my own. The modem/router is now positioned in the floorspace between the two floors and works with no problems despite being on a telephone line splitter and 10m telephone extension cable.

The network runs from this on a mixture of wired and wireless, covering 6 desktops PCs and one laptop.

Chris147 14:29 28 Jun 2006

Glad it works! Be careful using telephone extensions though - not all of them support broadband (one of the most common home network mistakes).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?