Wireless Networking Problem - Please Help!

*Gary* 00:06 24 Jan 2007

Hi,
I have got a problem trying to share files between two pcs on my wireless network and although I have searched in the forum and on other webpages for help and guides, I still can't seem to get it to work.

I have got the following...

Desktop PC
Windows XP PRO
Belkin USB Wireless Adaptor

Laptop
Windows XP Home
Centrino wireless card

Both these pcs are connected to a the following router...

'NETGEAR DG834PN RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router'

Both the pc and the laptop are connected to the router with WPA and both can connect to the internet without problems and can also connect ad-hoc and share files fine. However I thought that through the router/gateway, the pcs should be able to share files/folders as well as connect to the pc, but it seems not.

I have deactivated both the windows xp firewall and also my Mcafee firewall on both of them, set up the selected folders that I wish to share for file sharing, run the wizards for setting up a network but it just doesn't work.

What I have noticed is that when I click on 'My Network Places' from my laptop, sometimes (after a long while searching) I can see the desktop pc, but if I try and enter I just get the typical message saying that the network isn't accessible & the network path not found.

If I click on my network places with the desktop, it never detects anything and just ends with the same message.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what I haven't done or am doing wrong?

Thanks

Gary

howard64 10:13 24 Jan 2007

look at what ip address each is using - from a command prompt type ipconfig /all - then add that ip address to the firewall setting in the other pc and vice versa. Make sure both pcs are connected to the same workgroup I normally use mshome - right click on my computer and properties and then computer name.

*Gary* 18:42 25 Jan 2007

I have checked all this but it doesn't seem to make any differnce. Any more suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017