Wireless networking problem - help please.

The Kestrel 17:55 21 Jul 2004

I have set up a wireless networking system using a Netgear DG834G modem/router connected to my PC by ethernet cable, and a wireless connection to my wife's PC using a Netgear USB 2 adaptor.

The system works fine between the two computers until my wife shuts down her computer at night. The next time she boots it up, the green lights on her adaptor fail to light and she is unable to get an internet connection (we are broadband enabled). The only way to resume her connection is to crawl under the desk to her tower unit and then unplug and replug the USB lead from the wireless adaptor into the USB port of the computer - all then works well. Is there something I can do to ensure the PC recognises the USB adaptor on boot up?

Chronos 20:15 21 Jul 2004

not the answer you want, but why not leave the pc on, this one has now run non stop for 3 years.

byfordr 22:12 21 Jul 2004

Not come across this problem before. Is it something like a WG121? If it is, it should power up and down with the computer.

Not sure what o/s you have but If you go into My Network Places, view network connections, then right click on the adapter, disable and reenable.

Do you run WEP or any wireless security on it?

R

I would personally try uninstalling and reinstalling the usb software.

hillybilly 22:53 21 Jul 2004

Not seen any of these threads before, but has it been suggested to check out the usb chipset that is being used. So often in the past year I've had B/B modems and god knows what else that will not run correctly. Put a PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 ports on it and all the probs seem to disappear, of course you must make sure the PCI card is NOT using a VIA chipset!

johnsims 23:03 21 Jul 2004

I've just installed a Netgear WG511T cardbus wireless card into my laptop and although it connected to the other machines and the internet via the Netgear Router/Wireless access point the first time with no problems, when I turned on the laptop again an hour or so later Win98Se wanted to re-install a file that had supposedly already been installed when I set the thing up in the first place. It had also lost the profile I set up and I had to redo that, so would therefore tend to agree with byfordr in terms of a reinstall of the USB wireless thingy.

The Kestrel 09:49 22 Jul 2004

Many thanks for all the helpful contributions. The USB adaptor has now started working OK. Perhaps there was a poor connection and all the unplugging and replugging cleaned the contacts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires