Wireless networking a printer

Tim 22:14 11 Mar 2007

I currently have a windows 98SE PC with a Canon i865 printer connected over USB. I have a BT Home Hub for my broadband connection connected to my PC via ethernet.

I am intending to get a laptop computer. I would like to be able to print to my printer from either my PC or laptop. How do I do this.?

Is it possible if I get a wireless printer server to connect it to the BT Home hub and then be able to print from my PC via the BT Home Hub, as well as printing wirelessly from a laptop.

If I can do this, how do you set up your printer software to tell them that they have to print via the network instead of locally?

Thanks,
Tim Edwards

Forum Editor 17:21 12 Mar 2007

on my office network, and it works perfectly. The server is a piece of cake to install, and any computer on the network can print.

You need to have a USB network-ready printer, but other than that you don't need to buy anything - the server connects to your wireless router for setup, and to your printer via its USB port.

You can also use the same server on a wired network.

click here for more details

Tim 19:57 13 Mar 2007

How do I know whether a printer is a USB network-ready printer or not?

Looking at the Dabs.com website I cannot find any printers which say this. Is it what they call a "workgroup printer"?. They just list the connections as USB, parallel, ethernet etc.

Thanks,
Tim Edwards

ArrGee 09:53 17 Mar 2007

Here is a run-down of how to set up a HomeHub as a print server:

click here

Don't worry too much of the 'network ready' bit, just a standard USB printer is required.

Tim 17:28 17 Mar 2007

That was an interesting article on using the HomeHub as a print server and no doubt will be Fine for my laptop when I get it.

However, it did not help me in getting my existing Win98 PC to connect to a printer connected to my home hub. I did try a number of things but my PC could not see the printer.

Have you any idea how to get my Win98 PC to connect to a printer connected to the HomeHub as I would like a have a common printer, preferably my existing one.

Thanks,
Tim Edwards

ArrGee 17:55 17 Mar 2007

Not sure about the configuration for 98. I'll have a look around. I trust you followed all the steps in the link?

Tim 20:54 18 Mar 2007

Most of the steps should in the link do not seem to exist in the Win98 Wizard.

It went straight from sellecting local printer to it asking for me to chose my printer or enter my printer driver CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017