Wireless Networking with old Win98 laptop

bart warstein 17:17 09 Apr 2006

I've seen an earlier post by "spot the braincell" and have a similar but slightly different query. I have a new wireless-enabled Dell 8600 laptop(Win XP) and old Compaq Presario 1690 (Win98 - First Edn, not SE). I want to connect both for broadband using a wireless router (Netgear DG834G). The Dell will set up automatically. The Compaq has USB socket but no Ethernet socket. Can I enable it for wireless broadband connection by using a (Netgear WG511) network card in its PCMCIA slot? And to do so, do I need to install any extra drivers or software in this older laptop for it to configure/connect using the WG511 card? If so, what, and where do I get them?

Fingees 17:26 09 Apr 2006

I'm not 100% sure of the card required. Someone may confirm the one you mention.

But, basically th answer is yes, the drivers will be supplied with whatever card you use

woodchip 17:26 09 Apr 2006

You should be able to connect with a PCMCIA WiFi card but you need to check which PCMCIA slot you have got. The cards come with drivers and software. You load the CD first and the software tells you when to fit the card.

woodchip 17:28 09 Apr 2006

PS there are 16 bit and 32 bit PCMCIA slots. That's why I said to check what you have first

bart warstein 17:55 09 Apr 2006

Thanks woodchip. As far as I can tell I have a 32 bit (CardBus) slot. Haven't yet tried to set things up (still waiting for ISP to confirm broadband connection). There is an installation CD with the Netgear WG511 card. But my question is essentially whether my laptop (produced before wireless networking was normal?) needs to have any special software/drivers to read and work with whatever is on the Netgear installation CD. In the end I won't know till I try it; but I thought that if I needed to do anything to prepare my laptop, I could get on with this in advance of trying to connect.

woodchip 19:16 09 Apr 2006

You only need load the Netgear CD the put the SSID and other settings in from you Laptop Settings Page. Do not try setting Encryption at this time, Ensure your connection first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?