Wireless Networking Laptop and Desktop Dificulties

User-315C589B-4DC7-455D-B156AB85690025CE 18:01 17 Dec 2005

Hi, probably someone can tell me how stupid I am but...

I have a Sony Vaio desktop connected to the interne using virgin net broadband by wired modem. My hubby bought me a wireless enabled Packard Bell lap top and I have bought a D link router and usb wireless dongle. using the Dongle on the desktop I have succesfully connected to the internet from both computers.

Now i am trying to network the computers together so I can transfer files but I can't get either pc to recognise the other. What a i doing wrong?

Alye

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:21 17 Dec 2005

Can each machine "see" the other in "my network places"?

Or are they not visible at all?

have you set up any shares? File and print sharing?

i I have set up files for sharing and my printer and I ran the wireless network wizard but still neither PC can see the other.

When you say "File & print sharing" is there somewhere else I should be looking for settings in addition to the properties of the files/printer?

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:40 17 Dec 2005

Do you have the wireless network icon in your system tray?

If so double click on it and select properties. Check if you have file and print sharing in there and it's ticked, if not you'll need to install it/

Are both machines using XP

Just checked - yes both pcs have it ticked and yes both XP.

Any more sugestions? I'm counting on you T.B.

Alye

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:30 17 Dec 2005

my network places?

Can you ping each device? Do you use a firewall?

Don't know about the ping because I don't know the IP addresses but no nothing in my network places - first place Ilooked. When I did the wizzard it had the names of both computers at the end as though it worked but can't find em?

jimmer409® 07:09 18 Dec 2005

your firewall settings may be blocking communications, check the settings.

tasslehoff burrfoot 09:40 18 Dec 2005

To find out the IP address, click start, run, type cmd hit enter. In the DOS window type ipconfig /all

this will give you the IP.

Once you have the IP address you can add it to my netowrk places or map a drive.

I agree though that the most likely problem will be a firewall if you use one.

I'll find the IP address tomorrow (out tonight) but as far as the fire walls are concerned I run zone alarm on the desk top and the lap top camewith Norton. I turned both off whilst I was setting up incase it blocked the connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?