Wireless Networking laptop and Desktop

alexgray104 20:41 18 Jan 2006

Hi, I have recently purchased a Dell Latitude D600 which I have wirelessly connected to the router providing me with an internet connection on it. But, I would like to establish a 'proper' network between them so I can transfer documents and share printers etc... Anyway, I can run wireless network setup on the dell which has MCE (sp2). But when I put the flash into the Packard Bell which only has XP Pro SP1 it says I have to enter the details manually. Is there a way round this and/or where do I enter the SSID etc etc.... Many thanks in advance for your much appreciated help. :)

ade.h 20:48 18 Jan 2006

Just run the wizard and use that to enter the details manually.

Strawballs 23:34 18 Jan 2006

Once you have your internet connection to get the computers to see each other you can run the network connection wizard (not the wireless one) make the floppy or CD when it promps you and use that to configure the other one,
As a matter of interest why have you not put SP2 on the XP SP1 machine.

ade.h 23:46 18 Jan 2006

The wizards won't accept CDs for some reason known only to Microsoft. A floppy or USB flash drive will work.

Strawballs 00:07 19 Jan 2006

He should be alright because the machine that will have to be configured with the floppy is an SP1 wich should be old enough to still have an A drive

WhiteTruckMan 08:26 19 Jan 2006

When you run the wizard it should ceate a single file called Netsetup. its not a big file (usually 300-350k on average) after all, its meant to fit on a floppy. its an executable file, so it doesnt matter what medium its on, which is a good thing considering the increasing number of machines these days without floppys (sorry, thats an old hobbyhorse of mine!) just get it onto the machine(s) in question and run it.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?