Wireless Networking via Laptop

macarlos 12:58 27 Feb 2006

I have just recieved a wireless router(speedtouch576) and have tried to connect via a laptop as i dont have a desktop PC. I have connected to the internet without any problems until i disconnect the ethernet cable. when i do this it unables me to go online, therefore making my laptop un-wireless as the only connection i get is when all the wires are plugged into my laptop.
I would love help with this as I have been on it for a week without any success!

ade.h 16:09 27 Feb 2006

Having first configured the router via the RJ45, you then need to do just a little bit more work to configure the wireless connection at the client end. It doesn't just happen magically for you.

Use your laptop to search for wireless networks in range and *IF* you have configured the router correctly, it will appear in the list.

Then - and only then - you can set about the task of securing the network.

ade.h 16:12 27 Feb 2006

RE: my last line.

For obvious reasons, this will have to be done through the RJ45 again. If you try to make changes to wireless settings while connecting wirelessly, you will get into serious schtuck as the router config tries to apply the new settings while the connection is still active. You can end up locked out of the router that way.

(I speak from experience there....)

macarlos 16:31 27 Feb 2006

okay, i have searched for the wireless networks in range and have found my router but i'm unsure as what exactly to do next bout securing the network? Also i'm not the best at computers so whats the RJ45?

ade.h 16:43 27 Feb 2006

RJ45 is the official term for an Ethernet cable, either crossover or patch.

Be absolutely certain to use this whenever you might adjust a router setting that relates to wireless.

Security is very easy with most routers, but I have no experience of Speedtouch as it's not a popular brand for routers. Its modems are more common as they often get provided by ISPs. I'm more familiar with the dedicated router brands like Netgear, Belkin, etc.

So I can give no more than general hints.

1) Change your SSID to something unique, but do not use your name or address.

2) Enable MAC address filtering and allow the physical addresses of any wireless adapters that need to use your network.

3) Create a unique username and password for the router config. Essential.

4) Enable WPA-PSK using the TKIP protocol and create a key. It had better be a very good one too. Up to 63 characters (around 20 would be okay) with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers.

5) Enable the NAT/SPI firewall if it is not already.

macarlos 17:05 27 Feb 2006

once i have completed these 5 tasks, will that enable me to release the ethernet cable from my laptop?
Thank you for your help, you talk more sense than the technicians I have dealt with!!

Danoh 17:14 27 Feb 2006

Assuming you still have not setup your laptop to access your router wireless, and that it has built-in wireless capability;

On your laptop;
Start> Control Panel> Network Connections>
Click on the "Wireless Network Connection" icon.

Under "Network Tasks" on the left hand panel, click "Change settings of this connection" (OR, right mouse click on the Wireless Network Connection" icon and select properties).

Click on the "Wireless Networks" Tab.
Click "Add", select and fill in the drop-fown/blank fields to reflect EXACTLY what you have setup on your router, whilst wired up via Ethernet and as per ade.h's steps above.

macarlos 17:17 27 Feb 2006

cheers danoh! will do this later tonight when i've got access to my laptop! i'll let you know how things get on!

ade.h 18:13 27 Feb 2006

And then you'll be ready to lose the RJ45, but keep it handy as it will sooner or later be needed again for some purpose.

If you just want to check settings, or perhaps add another device to the MAC filtering whitelist, then you can do that wirelessly. More general stuff like saving settings, looking at logs, etc. can also be done without fear of screwing up the wireless link.

macarlos 16:55 28 Feb 2006

ade.h - i'm havin problems with points 2, 4 & 5 are these located where danoh on the wireless newtworks tab? on point for what is the TKIP protocol! Thanks!

ade.h 18:26 28 Feb 2006

As I said, without knowing that particular router, I can only give the general instructions that I would apply to any router. Although the terminology should not vary between different router config pages, it sometimes does. When you set up WPA in the router, you should be given either a) a choice between TKIP and AES or b) be told which is being used. It's usually TKIP, but you need to know this in order to set it on the wireless PCs. Here's a screenshot of that side of the setup: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?