Wireless networking in the home

Rhuddlan 14:22 17 Mar 2006

If a friend of mine wants a wireless home network with two desktop computers am I right in thinking that a wireless router and two wireless network cards are needed for this to happen? She ideally would like the router placed in the living room, the main desktop comp in the dining room which is two rooms away and the other comp upstairs in one of thr bedroom's.

Also, where would be the best place to get this equipment?

Thanks in advance for any help, Mat.

Diodorus Siculus 14:53 17 Mar 2006

What you suggest is correct.

PC World - D-LINK DSL-904 WIRELESS NETWORKING -
click here=

This is the one I use.

With another wireless network card or USB adaptor, you should have all you need.

Pineman100 17:03 17 Mar 2006

I set up a wireless network at home a few months ago, using a Belkin router and USB adapter. I (and the Belkin helpdesk) had endless problems getting the adapter and the router to talk to each other reliably, and I still find that about 70% of the time they won't communicate the first time I switch on the computer. I have to restart, and they then communicate the second time (usually). I was told on this forum that I would have been much better off using a wireless network card in the computer, rather than a USB adapter.

The Kestrel 17:40 17 Mar 2006

I have a netgear wireless network system which includes two PCs connected by USB adapters. My son's PC is in his bedroom with 3 walls and a floor space between him and the router. He always receives a strong signal with no problems.

bananaslik 17:55 17 Mar 2006

Rhuddlan how do you connect to the internet?i believe adsl needs to be used if you are connected by a bt line,if connected by cable(ntl)you will not need a adsl router but a cable router.I use a cable being on ntl,with 3 pc's connected by wireless pci cards & have no problems at all.hope this helps a little.
Bananaslik..

Clawador 16:47 18 Mar 2006

Wireless is fine if you can afford it but I'd stick
with a wired modem/router and just clip the cable to
the wall so it's out of the way.

Rhuddlan 19:41 21 Mar 2006

Hi All, thanks for the advice and comments, my friend has Wanadoo Broadband at the moment on the one computer in the living room, the computer in the bedroom doesn't yet have an internet connection. I have advised her to get two desktop network cards and a wirless router. She wants decent equipment but at a fairly cheap price, any other suggestions?

I don't know much about wireless networks but I am right in thinking that the modem plugs into the wirless router and after the software installation, the net can be accessed wirelessly throught both computers, she wants the living room computer to the main one that is used as this one is newer, does this computer have to be on in order for the other one to gain internet access. The computer in the bedroom is for the kids and she wants to control internet content to them, so security is a must!

Thanks and look forward to more advice, Mat.

nerawan 22:15 21 Mar 2006

In the past I have diff, connections . Then I got broadband with BT. They offer online a wireless router for only 25 pounds ,wich is very cheap and I was surprised how easy the installation process is. You just put the cd sent by them in each pc and follow the steps. The cables are coloured and easy to identify. I was in line 8 minutes after I started the process.

Your friend have wannnadoo.Can it be changed?. I think is worth it.

wobblymike 22:20 21 Mar 2006

before you go wireless you need to answer one simple question - do you want your slave pc to be able to access the net independantly of the master PC? If no then you just need 2 wireless adapter cards one in each PC I have fitted this set up on a number of ocassions normally when parents want to control their kids access to the net.
If yes then you will need a wireless modem/router (I use BT Voyager 2091 and its fine)and a wireless pci expansion card (d-link is fine but there are loads). Both the modem and router you can get on e bay without too much expense. Connect the router to your master PC via an ethernet cable, set it up iaw the instructions (dead easy) and you're on the net. Set up the security side of it iaw the instructions using a password (again dead easy).
Fit the pci expansion card to the slave pc, set up the security using the same password and thats it. You then have a secure wireless system. If you need more post back.

Rhuddlan 22:40 21 Mar 2006

Thank you once again for the suggestions and very useful help. Will discuss with my good friend and post back.

Regards, Mat.

donki 22:55 21 Mar 2006

Thanx guys, il have a look at these and post any problems.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?