Wireless Networking

JohnBhoy1 21:24 17 Mar 2005

Need some help Guys -

I have got an old laptop from work, which works well and I would like to share by ADSL connection from Pipex with that and my home PC, so that kids can use it.

I have looked about a bit on the net and see some wireless routers, but they all say that my ADSL modem requires an ethernet port, which it does not have.

My current setup is - Home Built PC running Windows XP Pro SP2, Thomson Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem (supplied by Pipex).

Can anyone suggest the correct equipment I need to setup a wireless network in the house.

I think I need the following

Router
PCMCIA/USB wireless card for laptop
PCI/USB Wireless card for PC, (or can I use the ethernet port on my motherboard).

All links to correct hardware much appreciated.

Cheers

JohnBhoy1

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:30 18 Mar 2005

Try posting in the network forum, but I would say you can get wireless routers with built in ADSL modem.

FelixTCat 12:34 18 Mar 2005

You have quite a choice as to how to do this.

1. Fit a wireless card to your pc and the laptop and network to the laptop through this - the laptop can only access the internet when your pc is switched on, giving you some control over their surfing.

2. Connect the laptop to your pc with a cross-over ethernet cable - the computers must be close together or the cable will trail throughout the house; both pcs almost certainly have network ports, so this is pretty cheap (if not, ethernet cards are dirt cheap - card + cable £10)

3. Buy an adsl wireless router and a wireless card for the laptop - most expensive, most flexible, but the laptop can surf the internet whenever the router is switched on; you can control whether the wireless part is switched on from your pc, thus you could surf but bar the laptop.

We can give more advice when you decide which route you would like to follow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?