Wireless network/broadband

gstevens261 08:37 22 Aug 2006

I have brought a Netgear wireless Modem/Router and was hoping to configure it so that I have a desktop connecting through it to the broadband connection via ethernet cable and a laptop via wireless. Is this possible or do I need a seperate modem? I have setup the router according to the ISP's guidelines (static IP etc) but when I test the connection through the Router config window it just fails. I haven't yet setup anything wireless because I just want to get the broadband connection live on the desktop first. Can anyone help???

FelixTCat 08:50 22 Aug 2006

gstevens261,

First, you do not need a separate modem - you can connect your laptop wirelessly to the router and share the internet connection with your desktop.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I test the connection through the Router config window it just fails". What fails? Can you connect to the router? Does the router connect to the internet?

In any event, you will be better off by setting the desktop to obtain an IP address automatically rather than giving it a fixed address.

Regards,

Felix

mgmcc 08:52 22 Aug 2006

<<< Is this possible or do I need a seperate modem? >>>

"Yes" this is possible and "No" you don't need a separate modem. This is exactly what a router is designed to do - it connects to the ISP and "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the local network.

<<< I have setup the router according to the ISP's guidelines (static IP etc) >>>

It is very unusual to be using static IP addressing, unless you have specifically arranged with your ISP to have a static IP address. Normally a dynamic IP address is allocated by the ISP and this can be different each time you connect. Similarly, the router's DHCP server will allocate IP addresses to the computers connected to it, using one of the IP address ranges reserved for use in local networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x range.

I have Cable broadband, but with all of the routers I've set up with it, the "test" to check that the router has an internet connection after setting up has failed. Despite this, it is correctly set up and I do have internet access.

gstevens261 08:55 22 Aug 2006

So your saying I should connect the ethernet cable to the laptop in the first instance to setup the router and get the internet connection going on that.

There is a test option in the router/modem setup. When you've entered all the info supplied by the ISP you click on Test and i think it tries to connect to the netgear website to confirm the internet connection. This is where it fails.

The desktop is already set to obtain ip. I put the static ip into the router setup.

gstevens261 09:23 22 Aug 2006

MGMCC

The letter off the isp had the username password static ip details and then it also gave details of DNS servers etc although they advised to make sure the TCP/IP settings of the lan card are set to automatically obtain address. Would you suggest it's better to just let the router configure the setup as opposed to doing a manuall setup with the information provided by the ISP?

I did try the internet after doing the setup myself and there was no connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires