Wireless Network - Will This Work????

Joe Public 16:40 15 Apr 2003

Hi everyone

In my defense, please bare in mind that I know nothing about networking, what an NIC is etc etc, the details below are extracted from my device manager.

Right then here goes:

I have a home PC which I connect to the internet using broadband via a Conexant AccessRunner USB ADSL WAN Adapter. I also have a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC card installed which I don't currently use as I have not set up a network.

I am awaiting (excitedly) the iminent arrival of my Dell Inspiron 8500 (no wireless card) and I want to set up a wireless network for the Dell so I can use the the main pc for sharing broadband, files and gameing with the kids etc.

I've priced up a few items and have come up with this solution, will this work?

Purchase the following from ebuyer.com:

Netgear MA401 802.11b Wireless PCMCIA Adapter (for Dell laptop)
Netgear 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter (for main PC)

Total: £77.59 incl vat + del

I presume I can remove my unwanted NIC card from my main pc as it won't be needed. I then install the Wireless USB adapter selecting Ad Hoc mode? Use XP Network wizard to set up network choosing main PC as the one that connects to the internet (via my USB ADSL modem). Then install Wireless PCMCIA card in the Dell laptop and repeat the installation as above.

Please let me know if I'm gonna crash and burn here before I shell out on the bits.

P.S. Will I be able to share files, play games against the kids, broadband surf etc with this config?

Thanks again

Joe

Hi Joe, yes that is about it. The Wireless USB adaptor and the PCMCIA card will talk to each other and you will be able to share the connection and files over the network.

However, one point is that you will need to have the desktop PC turned on all the time if you want to access the connection (Broadband) from the laptop as this is acting as a server.

Bit more expensive but have you thought of Wireless? (Which is what I am doing at present) and also, consider whether to go for 11Mbps or 22Mbps or the latest 54Mbps (Which is not that much more expensive than 11 or 22).

Mail me as I have quite a bit of info I can send you!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?