Wireless network- which brands?

duplo 10:30 23 Dec 2003

I am hoping to set up a wireless network at home. What brands do you recomend. And also, is it easier if the network cards in the computer are the same brand as the router.

I need a router and two wireless network cards and router for the BB modem.

Cheers!

duplo 10:35 23 Dec 2003

What is the difference between a wireless access point and a router?

SEASHANTY 11:02 23 Dec 2003

Have a look at the Linksys website. Plenty of networking info and how to do it. click here

Netgear or D-Link both have 3 year waranty's

duplo 12:15 23 Dec 2003

Think I am going for a D-link, 54 Mbit router and Dlink 54Mbit network cards... running windows XP on both machines.

Anyone know anythin about D-Link? Are they any good. All the reviews on all of the wierless gear seem to either give 5 out of 5, or 1 out of 5.

Erm.... is there something I should know... I am fairly good on computers, I know my around... I think I will be OK, but are there issues with the hardware!?

cheeky 13:34 23 Dec 2003

HI there, I got the Buffalo G54 airstation with a wireless pcmia card for my laptop, works a treat and I found it a lot better than my old Netgear stuff, it comes quite cheap as a bundle, supports VPN, reprting, content filtering and if you have network printer is fab. It spoofs youir current mac address, so setting it up on broadband is pretty easy too.

Al94 14:02 23 Dec 2003

I have a Netgear DG824M dsl wireless broadband modem/router, three PC's connected in a home network, one hardwired (beside router) and two wirelessly in different parts of the house. Also son's PS2 is connected. Wifes PC uses a netgear USB wireless adaptor and my laptop uses a Belkin pcmcia card. It was a dream to set up, very easy web based interface, also very easy to change firewall settings for different purposes, eg PS2 and son's PC using a webcam. Sharing printers also works effortlessly.

3 year warranty on the netgear kit and total reliability and great performance means I am happy with this kit and would'nt hesitate to recommend. A friend recently went for BT USB adaptors and a speedtouch 570 wireless modem router which by comparison, was a nightmare to set up (and keep set up)

refresh

LeadingMNMs 11:44 25 Dec 2003

i use a cheap router from dabs (only £80) manufactured by PTI. It has 4 wired ports and a plug in PCMCIA card to offer wireless capabilities and includes an ADSL modem. Was difficult to configure as user guides were not very good, but cheap aand can communicate wirelessly without problems in my house. Prices depend on the bandwidth. I find 11 Mbps (802.11b) perfectly fine for my small network (3 wireless computers), though for a larger network a 54 Mbps (802.11g) might be advisable.

The router / switch / modem is available by click here

As for buying products from the same manufacturer, i see no need. Most of my hardware is from different (the cheapest) manufacturer. As long as all hardware is compatible with the current standards (and it should be) there shouldn't be any problems.

AubreyS 11:50 25 Dec 2003

I've got a D-Link DSL 300G+ modem. A Linksys Wireless G router and two Linksys PCMCIA cards for the laptops. All work very well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?