Wireless network, USB or PCI

goofyhumor 12:26 06 Jan 2006

I've just set up a wireless network for my laptop and my wife's PC (this one is currently wired but will be getting moved). Anyway, I need to wirelessly connect my wife's PC (which coes have USB 2.0) and the kids' computer, and I wondered if PCI cards are better than USB connections? I am quite happy putting PCI cards in and have done so before. I have read before that PCI cards are more reliable and use less processor power (the kids computer is about 7 years old and doesn'e even have USB 2.0 anyway).

mgmcc 13:40 06 Jan 2006

If the PCs are to be permanently "WiFi enabled", you are probably better to install PCI cards.

USB adapters have the advantage that they can be swapped between computers (which you probably don't need) and can be connected with a USB extension cable to allow optimum placement for the wireless signal.

goofyhumor 13:52 06 Jan 2006

Thanks for the answer.

So do you think you can get a better signal then with a USB extension cable and USB connector over a PCI card? Or will the better reliability of the PC cards supersede this advantage? (the wireless network is only going to be used for internet mainly anyway)

goofyhumor 12:12 10 Jan 2006

Anyone know this? So do you think you can get a better signal then with a USB extension cable and USB connector over a PCI card? Or will the better reliability of the PC cards supersede this advantage? (the wireless network is only going to be used for internet mainly anyway)

mgmcc 14:11 10 Jan 2006

Toss a coin - "heads" for PCI; "tails" for USB :-)

...or get one of each and see which is better in the kid's PC and which is better in your wife's PC. I have to say that I haven't had a problem with a USB adapter which I have swapped between PCs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?