Wireless Network situation

Pearly Gates |X|X| 12:18 25 May 2004

Hello - I would like to create a wireless network at home but I am left wondering where you actually site the modem/router. Obviously it requires proximity to both power and a telephone socket, can you use an upstairs extension or does it have to be the first box from outside? I do not really want it in the front hall unless absolutely necerssary. Can you put them in the garage or loft without reducing the signal too much. Any feedback from networkers appreciated.

johnnyrocker 12:19 25 May 2004

click here

johnny.

TomJerry 12:22 25 May 2004

The same way as you use dial-up/BB modem. But if the distance bweetn router and PC is too far with a few thick walls, the connection quality may suffer.

Charence 14:20 25 May 2004

As long as there is a phone socket and power socket, your router can go anywhere. The manufacturers also recommend that you place it on a high position (ie, shelf).

If your house has very thick brick/stone walls then the signal will weaken a lot after it has passed 2-3 rooms. But in most houses, the signal can reach upto a range of 300ft indoor. If you're house is very very big, you can always bridge connections by adding a wireless access point to boost the signal strength.

Charence

byfordr 14:44 25 May 2004

I've friends whose routers sit happily in the loft. As Charence says walls can make a difference. I have generally found wireless b to be better at punching through walls. Wireless G routers can run both b and g. As long as you have a phone and plug socket near to where the router is to sit (after all you don't want loads of cable cluttering the place!) If were you are putting it is in an visually obvious place. Go for a nice looking one like the netgear dg834g.

R

byfordr 14:45 25 May 2004

where not were even...doh!

Pearly Gates |X|X| 21:17 25 May 2004

Thank you for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?