Wireless Network Setup

PC NOVICE 18:18 21 Nov 2007

I am having trouble setting up my wireless router. I can connect me router to my desktop, but when it comes to accessing the webpage to configure my router i get this webpage can not be displayed.

I have tried other websites and found no error there. I have a desktop and Laptop that i want to network together and they are both running Windows Vista Home Basic.

I have my router connected to my lan card as instructed bu Belkin and they assure me that I can use it as a router without the need for a ADSL or Broadband Connection.

THe Router is a Belkin 802.11g Wireless router, also I can't use the cd because I need the ADSL or Broadband Connection and I have been told to set it up manually, I would if I could access the page to do it.

The page address given is 192.168.2.1, I have noted other problems that are similar to this one but as every problem is diffrent I decided to start a new post.

Look forward to any help.

mgmcc 08:46 23 Nov 2007

The Belkin router's IP address is 192.168.2.1 and typing this into your web browser should open its configuration pages. You do *NOT* need to be connected to the internet to do this.

If it doesn't open the pages, it may be because your "Local Area Connection" in the PC hasn't got its IP address automatically from the router. You then need to give it an IP address manually.

In the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the Properties sheet that opens, click "Use the following IP address and enter these details:

IP address - 192.168.2.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.2.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.2.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

Click OK to close all boxes and see if you can then access the router's configuration pages.

Once you have the router working, ideally you should go back into the TCP/IP settings and set *BOTH* IP and DNS to get their addresses automatically.

PC NOVICE 11:51 23 Nov 2007

I have located the area up to the internet protocol. I seem to have 2, one is TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4.

The question is which one do I use.

Also my network is listed as a unidentified network, a method to change this would be great.

Lastly I now have internet access through the router to my IP from my laptop so I am making progress.

ambra4 12:50 23 Nov 2007

"I seem to have 2, one is TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4."

Untick TCP/IPv6 and only use TCP/IPv4.

ambra4 12:54 23 Nov 2007

Also check this posting

click here

PC NOVICE 14:55 23 Nov 2007

Were still on the same problem but were going to attack it from the system out to the router. I read and I am trying the last solution(s), but I have a new attack for all you people. I have Norton 360 installed, now before all you start hopping like rabbits, I have been running it in reduced mode to allow internet usage, the downside it that it places my laptop at risk of attack.

Now lets look at this from the Firewall's view, which is currently disabled, do we need to to anything here.

I also nave Norton 360, hence the firewall being disabled. Do i need to do anything here either. If anything is needed I would like clear and concise instructions on what and how.

By the way thanks to all the help so far, you know who you are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?