Wireless network set up query

the_beast 19:13 21 Jan 2007

Hi

I want to set up a wireless network between two houses about 50 yards apart... they have windows opposite each other. There will be two computers. A desktop running windows 98se in the main house, where the router will be, and a dell laptop with a centrino card in the second house.

My plan is to connect both wirelessly... the desktop with a Linksys WUSB54G adapter.

Do you know if this wireless adapter will work with windows 98se and usb1.1 connection?

I have had some advice that it won't and some that it will so i am a bit confused :(

My second query is ... will a pretty standard wireless router.. the one handed out by AOL.. have enough power to reach the laptop in the second house?

Or will i need a more powerfull router, say pre-n, or a bridge or a directional aerial or booster to do this?

Any help would be much appreciaited

Alex.

mgmcc 19:44 21 Jan 2007

<<< Do you know if this wireless adapter will work with windows 98se and usb1.1 connection? >>>

As far as I know, this wireless adapter requires Windows 2000 or XP. I have the WUSB54GS (the SpeedBooster version) and it definitely cannot be installed in Windows 98SE, I've just tried it. Does the PC in the same location as the router have to connect "wirelessly" or could it use an ethernet cable.

<<< My second query is ... will a pretty standard wireless router.. the one handed out by AOL.. have enough power to reach the laptop in the second house? >>>

Might be worth considering MIMO type hardware in view of the distance involved.

Tim1964 23:15 21 Jan 2007

My win98 desktop doesn't 'take' a Linksys USB wireless adapter either.

the_beast 13:44 22 Jan 2007

HMm
bit disappointed.. some suppliers said the adapter would work and others said it wouldn't so i thought i should check.

Connecting wirelessly is really the only option as the computer doesn't have a ethernet connector. The router will be in a room next door to the computer so a usb cable would probably be too long as it will need to be about 10-15m long. Its a bit annoying as the computer is fairly powerful etc about 1.3ghz but runs win98:(

Are there any other wireless usb adapters that can be used with a windows 98 system?

As for the router.. you mentioned mimo technology.. what about putting a booster in the window of the second house in direct line of sight of the router? do you think this could work? would prefer to use the "free" router as i dont want to spend any more than i have to ;)

Tim1964 18:12 22 Jan 2007

To fit a network card in the Win98 machine will take less than 5mins and cost £7 (from PC World) or less if bought online. Ethernet will also provide a much more reliable connection.

Strawballs 10:34 23 Jan 2007

Or if you don't want to open the case and fit a card (which is very easy) you could use a USB to ethernet adapter click here

the_beast 13:58 23 Jan 2007

Thanks guys that seems to solve the desktop problem then if using a usb adapter and ethernet cable is the best and easiest option... ill just have to lift some carpets..

Anyone got any further thoughts on the other part of my problem regarding how to trasmit wirelessly to the second house?

mgmcc 09:50 24 Jan 2007

<<< if using a usb adapter and ethernet cable is the best and easiest option... ill just have to lift some carpets.. >>>

What we said was that the *Linksys* wireless adapter you mentioned wouldn't run in Win 98SE. There are other wireless adapters that will and for which 98SE drivers are supplied. I've found that Belkin's USB WiFi dongle is very versatile - I've used it in Win 98SE (as well as Mac OS x and Linux). It's just that particular Linksys adapter which is specifically for XP or 2000.

<<< Anyone got any further thoughts on the other part of my problem regarding how to trasmit wirelessly to the second house?>>>

If you have a direct "line of sight" through windows in both buildings, locating the wireless router in one window and, if possible, the laptop in the opposite window should get you a reasonable signal. Using an external (USB) wireless adapter in the laptop would give the flexibility of having the adapter in the window with the laptop itself located more conveniently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?