Wireless network - router or AP?

Gary Wood 11:14 29 Jan 2007

I want to add wireless capabilities to my small office network.

The network currently has a Windows 2003 server assigning IP addresses to 5 desktop machines on the wired network via DHCP.

So, should I:

a)get an access point, connect that to the wired network and expand the number of IPs which the Windows 2003 server has available to allocate via DHCP?

or

b)get a cable wireless router, connect its WAN port to the wired network and let it create it's own wirless network using its in-built DHCP facility?

I /think/ both of these would work? However, does anyone have any thoughts on which is the better solution?

Thanks,

Gary

Ashrich 18:53 29 Jan 2007

Oddly , Access points can be more expensive than routers , and as most wireless routers have the facility to be turned into access points via the web interface I'd say get a router , if it doesn't work as one it will as the other !

Ashley

Strawballs 01:20 30 Jan 2007

I don't know about access points but with routers you can set up WPA encryption to keep out unwanted guests.

Ashrich 09:18 30 Jan 2007

And so you can with access points as well ....

Ashley

mgmcc 09:25 30 Jan 2007

<<< a)get an access point, connect that to the wired network and expand the number of IPs which the Windows 2003 server has available to allocate via DHCP? >>>

In your case, "yes", that would be the better solution.

<<< b)get a cable wireless router, connect its WAN port to the wired network and let it create it's own wirless network using its in-built DHCP facility? >>>

If you go down that path, the router would get its WAN IP address in the Server's Subnet. It would have to operate in a different Subnet and its "client" PCs would be in a different Subnet from those connecting directly to the server.

You could, of course, disable a router's DHCP server and connect one of its "LAN Ports" to the wired network, so that it functions as a basic Network Switch / Wireless Access Point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?