wireless network, router or access point

keith-236785 21:32 19 Mar 2006

hi,

i have just bought a new laptop which has wireless networking. at the moment my home network (two pc,s) is wired sharing the internet via a belkin router.

i would like to know if a wireless router would have more than 1 wired networking connector ie a 4 port wired and wireless in one unit.

existing network is ok and i have no plans to change to wireless. i only want to get the laptop connected via wireless but i dont want to have yet another item plugged in like an access point just for the laptop.

anyone got any advice regarding which routers have at least two lan connectors and also wireless in one unit.

ade.h 22:17 19 Mar 2006

Most have four RJ45 ports. All Belkins certainly do.

(I posted a bit more detail in response to your other query in Networking).

i've no idea 22:36 19 Mar 2006

the linksys I have has 4.

gfpbatpcadvisor 18:13 20 Mar 2006

i have a belkin g router and i would think all you need to do is connect your modem to your router then both pc's via cable to router and let your laptop search for connection using network connections, click on wireless network connection and get it to search for a source i,e belkin. thats how i did mine. you may need to use wireless network setup on your laptop first.

keith-236785 22:36 20 Mar 2006

thanks all, i have bought a Netgear wireless router,that too has 4 lan ports on the back. it was a bit of a pain to set up but all is working ok now.

thanks ade.h, i posted this then realised i should have been in the networking forum.....as there was already a thread open very similar i jumped onto that one instead of starting a new one.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone