Wireless Network Question

Sibbo 21:56 02 Feb 2009

When setting up a wireless network, do I need to change the password and SSID from the default that the manufacturer gave? Thanks

STREETWORK 22:02 02 Feb 2009

No, leave it as is unless the manufacturer suggests changing it...

Sibbo 22:09 02 Feb 2009

Couldn't somebody access my network then?

STREETWORK 05:26 03 Feb 2009

There will be little chance of that due to the security already enabled in the router. This is a unique code (24 letters and numbers) that anyone will need to access your network. If they did then they would also need to get around your anti virus fire wall, if you have one...

Strawballs 09:33 03 Feb 2009

If it is a router supplied by your ISP then they will be set differently to others supplied but if it waqs one you bought then yes change it because default will all be the same, you want to change the SSID to something that you know but will not be obvious to people with wireless access around you, because they will be able to find default password for that make of router.

Strawballs 09:34 03 Feb 2009

ignore the q in was

Sibbo 09:42 03 Feb 2009

I bought it from Dell along with a Laptop, however, I no longer have the Dell Laptop. The current SSID/password do seem to be very easy e.g. admin/wireless.

Strawballs 09:45 03 Feb 2009

Then that is the default manufacturers CHANGE THEM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?