Wireless network query

Leehndrsn 12:57 04 Aug 2006

Ok, i'm hoping to set up a wireless network on my pc's with AOL (via cable) using the Belkin wireless G router (F5D7230-4) and the Belkin wireless G USB network adapter (F5D7050uk), Is it possible to keep my modem connected to my main pc via a NETGEAR FA311v2 PCI adapter and connect the router to either RJ-45 ports as I have 2 on the motherboard?

I have tried to connect the router the normal way, connect router to pc and modem to router but it never manages to find an internet connection after following the product wizard, or could it be yet again somehing that isnt compatible with AOL?

driving man 13:14 04 Aug 2006

have the basic aol silver and netgear wireless router and it works fine---can log on to aol only prob is not to use same screen name.also 1 pc can use aol while another 1 is using internet explorer or firefox. for further details of how to get up and running try Tafftm (tm is trade mark) as he popped round and set mine up in minutes
PS have you read my very recent posting in consumerwatch about aol pricing-- was astounded at what they gave me

Leehndrsn 13:41 04 Aug 2006

Does your router have a built in modem? that was another issue I thought may be stopping it....when you say use a different screen name, how do you mean? when setting up via the wizard i'm asked to enter a logon name and password which I do (use my own) but I can't get it to locate an internet connection and trying to logon to AOL itself while router is connected still provides no connection, I also noticed AOL saying it uses PPPoA but I only get option to select PPPoE which is the closest

ade.h 13:45 04 Aug 2006

Take a step back and start from scratch.

Are you actually using a cable service, as you state, or are you using the AOL ADSL service that piggybacks NTL's phone line? Cable or ADSL?

Re: your last line, about the encapsulation - PPPoE and PPPoA are night and day different and mutually exclusive. You need to work out for certain exactly what type of internet connection you are using before I can advise you further.

Leehndrsn 14:00 04 Aug 2006

I'm limited on my knowledge when it comes to this... My modem is one provided by AOL (AOL broadband 120) and is connected via an NTL screw in cable...Is there a dead cert way to find out as I assumed a BT line was ADSL and cable was simply cable

driving man 15:54 04 Aug 2006

remember when setting up it is screen name at aol.com

Leehndrsn 16:14 04 Aug 2006

Yeah I know, still won't work

Leehndrsn 17:56 04 Aug 2006

All sorted, finally been given the go ahead to ditch AOL and move back to BT :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?