Wireless Network Problems

PTB007 15:28 03 Aug 2008

Hi,
I've had this problem for a little while now where my router is not detected, the router is a D-Link DIR-301. I am running Windows XP and the router is set to display the network name.

Basically, the laptop does not find my network, it finds other networks. There is a network displayed, and I think it is my network but when I connect to it I am not assigned an IP address.

I suspect my wireless settings have become corrupt and have removed them all but still it does not pick up my network.

Is there a way I can remove all wireless settings (registry as well) and start again?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

BurrWalnut 16:02 03 Aug 2008

To delete a wireless network connection, it will be something like this, depending upon your adapter:

Right-click the Signal icon in the system tray > Open utility > Wireless Networks Tab. Highlight the one not wanted and click Remove.

PTB007 21:03 04 Aug 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, sadly no joy as yet. Even though it has been removed it will still not detect the network.
I sispect there are some registry settings associated with the connection but do not have any ideas how to remove.

brundle 10:49 05 Aug 2008

Remove and re-install your wireless drivers. Check for the latest version with the manufacturer first of course. Reset your router, or just switch it off for 5 minutes and back on. Change the network SSID. Check you can connect to the router with a cable. Does your laptop connect to other wireless networks with no problem?

PTB007 12:25 09 Aug 2008

Thanks for the help Brundle. I removed my Virus program (Virgin PC Guard) and reinstalled. My network is now recognised.

brundle 13:58 09 Aug 2008

PC Guard is better than nothing but not much better. Avast,AVG or Antivir are free and much more effective. This thread will help if you'd like to change to something more effective.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie