Wireless Network problems

Chadders1989 18:38 11 Jan 2008

hey
i have a BT Home hub with two pcs connected, one by ethernet and one via wireless, no problems.
I am attempting to add my new Dell laptop to this wireless network, but it will not connect. It does not find the Bt home hub as my other computer has.
It is an Inspiron 1300, and when i load up the windows network box, and search for networks, it say s "windows cannot configure this windows connection" and that another program maybe enabled to configure the wireless connection. The dell wireless assisstant comes up but cannot find the router.
Any help greatly appreciated
James

jaffa43 20:22 11 Jan 2008

I had a similar problem with my pc.My son's found the wireless network no trouble but mine couldn't see it.I'm running a Netgear router but these steps are the same for all pc's.
You could try and stop the programme which controlls your network adapter in the laptop and tell windows to configure the connection using the inbuilt "Wireless Zero Configuration Utility" You can get instruction here click here if you're not sure how to do it.
Hope this helps.

Chadders1989 20:47 11 Jan 2008

thanks i thought it might be that the dell wireless assisstant was the problem, although im not sure how to stop this running?

jaffa43 21:58 11 Jan 2008

Easiest way would be to either run msconfig from the start/run box.Click on the tab labeled "startup",look for the entry that corresponds to your wireless controller and disable it.Or you could simply uninstall the programme using add/remove programmes.Then follow the instructions in the link from my last posting.

Technotiger 22:06 11 Jan 2008

Hi, I must admit I don't know much about laptops, but am I right in thinking that with some laptops, Wireless capability has to be Switched On??

Technotiger 22:10 11 Jan 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?