Wireless Network Problems

talia 20:58 28 Nov 2006

I have a installed a Thomson Wireless Router on my Dell PC which is running XP home SP2 and all is well.

My daughter has another Dell PC with same operating system and I want to allow it to share the internet connection with the Host machine. I have installed a USB Wireless adapter on her machine and it and have connected to the network but I cannot get on the internet on my daughters machine.

Any Ideas?

PS. The router is connected via ethernet to the Host PC.

Forum Editor 00:16 29 Nov 2006

and your daughter's machine has a wireless network adapter she'll be able to access the internet via the router - not via the 'host' machine. In fact, it isn't even necessary to have that computer running at all - any computer with a wireless adapter will be able to use the internet via the router, provided it's in range.

dms05 08:44 29 Nov 2006

Have you set up and enabled the Wireless on your router?

As FE says your 2nd PC can connect direct to the router and access the Internet. You don't need to share, they are both independent of each other and work whilst the router is switched on.

Do encrypt the WiFi for security reasons. See your routers set up for details.

Also don't install the USB Wireless Utility, just use XP's WiFi Manager. You can't use both they interfere.

talia 18:04 29 Nov 2006

If I also want to share the one printer do I only need to get the second machine to connect to the router?

Ashrich 23:22 29 Nov 2006

Unless your printer connects directly to the router you will need to have the first PC running for the second to use it .

Ashley

talia 19:49 06 Dec 2006

Many Thanks

I have the network up and running but still cannot connectthe remote PC to the internet.

When I set up a internet connection I do not get the option to choose the wirless network as my connection option?

Any suggestions?

mgmcc 20:25 06 Dec 2006

<<< When I set up a internet connection I do not get the option to choose the wireless network as my connection option? >>>

You don't "set up an internet connection".

Using the wireless adapter's software, or Windows XP's built-in wireless networking software (which is the better option), scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?