Wireless Network Problems

Woodie29 15:52 14 Mar 2005

I am setting up a wireless network at home - I have a pc and a laptop both running xp (with service pack 2) I have a 3com box and a belkin card for the laptop - I cant ping the ip address but both the pc and the laptop are saying they are connected and yet I cannot see either pc from laptop or vice versa - I have switched the firewall off on both the machines to check that this is not preventing the access and still get the same problems. Can anyone offer any help to me on this please as it is driving me round the bend....

Forum Editor 19:01 14 Mar 2005

on the machines?

Woodie29 21:12 14 Mar 2005

yes i did and it looks like they can see each other but not swap info - I get a permissions problem but can't locate where to change them ?

BigMoFoT 22:09 14 Mar 2005

Sounds like a security issue to me - any wep keys set up?

Does windows have control of the wireless options - if so which mode are you in?

§ 22:17 14 Mar 2005

Check that you haven't got any boxes ticked in Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings.

There are 3 boxes in Auto Config and Proxy Server - all should be un-ticked on both machines.

Woodie29 09:13 15 Mar 2005

I have got a WEP key set up and they match on both boxes they accept when they are entered on either machine, I have made sure that there is no proxy server ticked hence why I am stumped...

Woodie29 09:13 15 Mar 2005

I have got a WEP key set up and they match on both boxes they accept when they are entered on either machine, I have made sure that there is no proxy server ticked hence why I am stumped...

BigMoFoT 09:15 15 Mar 2005

Temporarily remove the WEP keys and see if that makes any difference..

Then you'll know where the problem lies

FelixTCat 10:26 15 Mar 2005

When you say you have switched the firewall off, do you mean the Windows firewall or a third-party firewall? If you switch off a third-party firewall with SP2, you may find that the Windows firewall then kicks in. Make sure that both are switched off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017