Wireless network problem

DJ-Garry 23:48 31 May 2008

Hi guys.

After doing a bit of decorating and moving the cables fom my Virginmedia TV box and bb cable modem, my laptop says the settings this computer do not match those of the network on linksys router.
It's not the same on my girlfriends laptop though. That machine finds the router but it comes up as an unsecure network when we previously set up a password on it. That may be because in my atempts to cure the problem, I pushed the reset button on the router. The main pc that's connected to the router via a lan cable works fine.

I have no problems with the wireless internet at my parents house. My laptop automatically connects to that first time round.

Any ideas how I can fix or reset this please??

Many thanks, Garry

Ashrich 00:38 01 Jun 2008

Find the profile for your connection and delete it , then try to reconnect to the internet and enter the security key as usual , that should allow you to get online again . In Vista go to the Network and Sharing Centre and on the left side of the page click on " Manage Wireless Networks " delete the profile , and then reconnect . In Xp , scan for wireless networks , on the left of the page click on " Change the Order of wireless networks , do the same and try reconnecting .

Ashley

Strawballs 15:31 01 Jun 2008

If you pushed the reset button then you will have to setup the security again your laptop is still trying to connect your old settings.

L8-ians 16:54 04 Jun 2008

Hi,
If you are using a Linksys Wireless Router...
Just Login to the Router User interface using the Ip add 192.168.1.1 (Default Gateway for the Router).
In the Top u Can see the Tab Wireless, Where you Can configure the wireless settings in the Router.
and also check the firmware in the Router. Update the firmware to the latest version if its lesser version.
in the wireless Computer Delete the prefered network and try to reconnect with the new wireless Configuration. it will fix the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?