wireless network with ntl broadband ??

winstonwolf 00:42 11 Mar 2006

i want to change my current wired network to a wireless network and i have ntl broadband cable modem. Looking at all the different wireless routers available i notice they all say for ADSL.
Would these work with my NTL brodband or is there a different type i should be looking for ??
thanks once again in advance.

Jaro 01:27 11 Mar 2006

you are looking for wireless broadband router click here

Jaro 01:29 11 Mar 2006

more options here and you can read all the reviews if u like click here

Jaro 01:33 11 Mar 2006

look here first review say no prob with ntl broadband click here

wolfie3000 02:03 11 Mar 2006

morning winstonwolf

Just helped Dezi with a similar problem try this

click here

Hey jaro you in here as well lol morning.

Danoh 02:17 11 Mar 2006

I'm on NTL cable broadband and have just implemented wireless network successfully.

You do not want the ADSL routers, just go for the Cable modem routers.

I was thinking of 802.11g only, but decided to pay the premium and go for pre-N MIMO, especially as that would enable me to not just cover the house but also the garden (now that summer will be coming! :-) with just one router.

I got the Belkin pre-N F5D8230 wireless modem.
For the client PCs, I initially bought the Belkin F5D8000 (which is a PCI Bus Adapter to house a notebook PCMCIA card ~ F5D8010).
However, there was a conflict with my newest PC's MCI motherboard and I could not install successfully.
I then installed a slightly more expensive pre-N MIMO PCI adapter successfully (Linksys WPC54GX). This had an external aerial and achieved full (100%) 108Mbps throughput consistently, both ways.
The Belkin F5D8000 installed on another PC only managed 80+% and sometimes dropped below this quite considerably.

Even my laptop's standard 802.11g wireless got very good reception at the very bottom of my long garden.

As I had elected to run with the higher security WPA, I also got a D-Link DWL-G122 USB 802.11g adapter (not many USB adapters caters for WPA, just WEP). This performed better then my laptop's built-in 802.11g. Not surprising, as the USB adapter is held vertically, aligning with the router's vertical aerials. And can be positioned for line-of-sight to the router.

I reckon that with careful positioning of the router and client PCs for radio reception and transmission, standard 802.11g kit would do very well within a house.
My experience shows it really pays to have an adapter which enables you to attach a separate aerial, away from the bottom of the PC and tangle of wires, into clear radio space.

Check out the Networking Forum; loads of excellent threads posted there for wireless networking.

Danoh 02:19 11 Mar 2006

My thread in the Networking Forum click here

winstonwolf 12:02 11 Mar 2006

Thanks guys thats great , just what i needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?