WIreless network not working

Squeals 23:16 17 Jan 2006

Thanks firstly to Kinger and FE for assistance finding idiot's guide. Everything set up but doesn't seem to work properly....

Desktop connects to ADSL router/modem via wireless as does Laptop no problem (other than laptop seems to "steal" most of the bandwidth?!). Network places on desktop shows it on the MSHOME network but not the laptop. On the laptop network places shows both but will not allow me to access the desktop.

Laptop is XP Pro with Norton Firewall, desktop is XP Home with ZoneAlarm. Have not made any changes to their settings.

When setting up the network I have made no changes to the Router - do I need to??

All assistance/advice gratefully received from this home networking newbie!!

Squeals

Forum Editor 23:48 17 Jan 2006

- do I need to??"

No.

Turn off both firewalls and see what happens.

Turn them on again and post back with the results.

Squeals 23:56 17 Jan 2006

No joy I'm afraid. Have pinged rouer and laptop from desktop no problem. Have tried to ping the desktop from the laptop and it times out.

Looking at some other posts do I need to install NetBIOS as a communication protocol?

Squeals

Squeals 00:11 18 Jan 2006

Am going to bed now (aaaah!). SO will respond to any replies tomorrow evening.

Thanks FE for assistance so far.

Squeals

dognabbit 14:54 21 Jan 2006

Like many people, i had a great deal of trouble getting my wireless network to run properly. The three things that i did to resolve my issues were. 1) Check all the settings that you 'think' are there. I found one, that i was sure i had set right. 2) I was using a wireless card in my laptop. Uninstalling it and reinstalling it solved a lot of my problems, that i didn't think would be associated with it. 3)Never give up (it took me 5 weeks to sort mine out.
Best of Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?