Wireless Network- Limited or No Connectivity

Solvaworld1 22:45 06 Sep 2009

Hello,

Hope you can help

Set up a wireless network through Virgin Modem and Netgear router. Have a network set up can connect to it but on my windows wireless network manager is says limited or no connectivity and on the virgin wirless manager it also cant connect to the wireless network. However when I run a cable from the netgear router it works which what Im using now. I have the same problem on two pc's. I know the laptop I am using now works ok using Wifi as I can connect to my friends virgin network without any issues. I have done the usual pings and ip configs everything is fine. The wifi light and the Internet light are both on on the netgear router so I am finding it hard to believe that its a problem with that. Although if 2 machines can see anc connect to a network its broadcasting but have no connectivity to it not sure what else It can be even though its working through a cable.

For the record both my laptop and desktop are Windows XP. Any help would be much appreciated thank you

Ashrich 00:08 07 Sep 2009

First of all try removing the wireless profile for the network from Windows then type in the security key again when connecting , making sure it is copied correctly .

You could also try the router without any wireless security ( temporarily ) to see if that is indeed the problem , if that works then try it will some WEP security , and if that is Ok , try a shortish ( and preferably random )WPA key .

I usually find that the commonest cause is a mis-copied security key .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?