wireless network keeps disconnecting erratically

terendak_uk 13:56 06 Dec 2004

Got main PC connected to router/ADSL/ access point via Ethernet card. Got another PC upstairs with a Belkin USB network "card". All's well for quite some time and then, for no apparent reason, the upstairs PC disconnects, stating that there is no available network.. Rebooting does not solve this. Main PC connection is never a problem. If I go back the next day....all's well again......for a couple of hrs usuallly. Both PCs with XP SP2. Be most grateful for any thoughts/advice

terendak_uk 19:51 06 Dec 2004

switch of mains ( switch of wireless box) and then switch back on again, in reverse order....network connection back again! For how long? Anyone any advice for me, please? Must be some logic to it?
Thanks

denchris 20:23 06 Dec 2004

terendak_uk. I had similar problem but with wireless laptop, on disconnection I moved the laptop to a new position and OK. obviously didn`t like the floor between even though it was only about 15 - 20 Ft apart, take the laptop down the garden about 120 Ft. and still OK ...seems you might have to move one or the other, hope this helps ?

pipedream 20:26 06 Dec 2004

Sometimes using XP's "zero config" to control the adaptor can work better than the manufacturers utility - not sure how this is done with Belkin but you can sometimes right-click the system tray icon & switch between XP & the other utility controlling it.

fitshase 08:00 07 Dec 2004

You could try using another channel as there may be something interfering with the wireless network (e.g., microwave, DECT phones, etc).

Try different channel numbers and see if that makes any difference. I had to change my channel number when I moved house because there was some interference. Now works a treat.

Regards

Fitshase

terendak_uk 11:19 07 Dec 2004

thanks for advice....will try. I was rather worried that I had some config set to "off" after x time.....can't find one and there, as you guys seem to concur, isn't one.

terendak_uk 19:33 07 Dec 2004

thank you!
I can't remember how to change the channel ( I put it on 11, initially)but I went thro various steps.....turns out that if I wiggle the antennae and then go back to the wireless PC upstairs and tell XP to reconnect...it's fine. Pain tho'.......perhaps if I change channels it'll be more stable, so help on that would be appreciated. Ironically, when I am connected, the signal is reported as being very good. Also, and I've asked this before, I just got MAC addy privacy and I keep getting told my network isn't secure. I can't see anyone else "in the neighbourhood" with similar, so I'm leaving it at that. Reckon that's OK?

fitshase 19:47 07 Dec 2004

MAC address privacy is pretty secure and will deter the amateur hacker. I found that my router would allocate an IP address to any card in range while the MAC address filtering was enabled. However, they still could not gain access.

If you add WEP (or WPA) then your network will be pretty secure. Nothing is 100% secure however. Until you enable WEP (or WPA) you'll generally get the saying "your network isn't secure".

As for the channel, look through the handbook or post details of the router and card and someone may have the same.

Regards

Fitshase

terendak_uk 20:20 07 Dec 2004

for the reassurance. Am checking not only the h'book but those OLD grey cells too!

terendak_uk 20:26 07 Dec 2004

under wireless config....will change when next I get cut off.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?