Wireless Network Help Please

paul654 14:59 14 Jul 2006

At the moment I am connected to Pipex Broadband using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330USB Modem to a single PC.
We have just bought my daughter a laptop and want to set up a wireless network to share Internet/files etc.
Because my existing modem does not have an ethernet port (USB only) I understand I will have to buy a Modem/Router and start from scratch.I am a total 'Network Newbie' and the thought of doing away with my Speedtouch modem and 'messing about' with all my settings to install a modem/router is very daunting to me. Is it as difficult as it sounds?? Are there any idiot-proof guides available?
My PC does not have a wireless adaptor so I will be connecting the modem/router with an ethernet cable, but my daughters laptop does have wireless capability so can anyone reccomend an ideal modem/router for the job. Any help will be very apreciated...thanks

ade.h 15:26 14 Jul 2006

Firstly, routers don't install, so there really is very little "messing around".

Is it as difficult as it sounds? No.

Idiot-proof guides? I'm working on one, but it's not finished. Still, you might find the present content of some use click here

I usually opt for 3Com, Linksys or Belkin depending on who/what/how/etc. The 3Coms have a nice best-of-both-worlds approach, with a wizard that actually works well and a config interface that is well laid out and very tweakable. Good build quality (likewise Linksys).

Look for the 3Com 3CRWDR100A, the Linksys WAG354G or the Belkin 7632 (not the 33).

dms05 18:13 14 Jul 2006

I've installed a few ADSL WiFi Routers and it's not difficult provided your existing PC configurations hasn't been messed about with.

What is different is the terminology and that can be confusing.

Most ADSL WiFi Routers have an Installation Wizard and they help enormously.

Usually their something or other that isn't quite right and needs a bit of investigation. However don't let that put you off. Just post here, I've had lots of help from many other users on different topics.

You've found this forum, so your major problem is solved!

wobblymike 11:19 16 Jul 2006

Hi
My advice is a little different, if you are going to do this I recommend you bite the bullet and do it properly.
1. Bin your USB modem and get yourself either a combined wireless modem/router or a separate modem amd router.
My set up to do exactly what you want is a separate modem and router e.g. D Link 604 wireless router and a BT Voyager 205 modem. Works a treat with a wireless enabled laptop

ade.h 18:57 16 Jul 2006

How is that different? ;-)

He needs to bin the modem; that's a given with ADSL. All to do with protocols.

cofi 15:10 18 Jul 2006

When I first went on the internet it was with B.T.Broadband+a Voyager 2500V wireless.I was even more of a novice than I am now and on the first day had to spend an incredible 3 hours on the B.T. help line.In the end they told me that it was my computer that was to blame.In desperation I tried again the next day+that operator had my system up+running in 20 minutes.I am more or less used to the workings of the system now but still get the occasional problem with signal etc.I think that B.T. in particular have a long way to go before they have a user friendly system.

paul654 00:55 19 Jul 2006

Thanks Folks
I've bought a 'Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router' and everything has set up easily. I was quite suprised how easy it was after reading so many horror stories in the forums.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?