Wireless network detected, but not connecting

rach4371 13:41 02 Oct 2008

Hiya, i'm after some help with my wireless connection. We have a strong signal coming from our wireless network in our flat and up until recently it has been connecting fine, but now it keeps trying to connect to the network for ages then gives up. Me and my flatmate have both encountered this problem, my laptop is wireless enabled and they use a wireless card in their pc, but another flatmate has the router directly wired to their modem and theirs works fine. Its been suggested that its a problem with the router, any ideas?

BurrWalnut 14:18 02 Oct 2008

Here are a few things to try:
1. Changing the channel number in the router sometimes helps with connection and speed problems. Change it by a factor of 6, e.g. if it’s currently 11 make it 5 or if it’s currently 1 make it 7.
2. Move the router to find out if nearby electrical or radio activity or something metallic is causing interference.
3. Delete the wireless connection and set it up again.

L8-tian 21:22 02 Oct 2008

Since there is intermittent disconnection in wireless,

try with different channels or

Try to upgrade the firmware version of the router.

This will help you to fix the problem.

After changing the channel, remove the preffered networks before connecting to your network.

L8tian..

brundle 22:26 02 Oct 2008

1,6 and 11 are the only channels to try. All others overlap.

dawood 16:14 03 Oct 2008

Sometimes the interference or other factors can affect the wireless signal click here , just try to reposition the laptop or router and see whether it helps..

dawood 16:17 03 Oct 2008

Sometimes the interference or other factors can affect the wireless signal click here , just try to reposition the laptop or router and see whether it helps..

lynken 00:34 04 Oct 2008

Hi, sounds like the wireless has lost its wep code, or is trying to connect to a stronger signal.

On your wireless icon next to your clock right click the icon and click on view wireless connections and then select the wireless router that you are trying to connect to then click on connect, you may be asked for a wep key, this will or should be shown on a sticker under the wireless router, enter the code and it should connect giving you wireless access

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone