Wireless Network advice

talia 18:42 04 Apr 2005

I want to network two PC and a laptop using wireless connections. I want to share the broadband connection on the laptop.

Whatis the easiest and cheepest way to do this?

Laptop and 1 pC running XP Home and the remaining PC ME

HauxtonPhil 18:57 04 Apr 2005

The way I do it is to have a wireless adsl router which is connected to the adsl (broadband) connection on the phone. Then each computer has a small usb wireless network adaptor plugged in. Netgear has proved to be very reliable. If the laptop has a Centrino processor it may have a built in wireless connector.

For the ADSL router you should allow around £80, and the usb adaptors will be around £30 each (although you could shop around).

LastChip 19:04 04 Apr 2005

A Wireless Modem/Router and a wireless card for each of the machines. Alternatively, if you already have an external modem, you could buy just a Router and plug your modem into it. If it's a USB modem, make sure the router will accept a USB connection.

Generally, stay with the same manufacturer for all the devices for a hassle free experience.

Our FE seems to favour Netgear, Belkin also seem to have a good reputation for plug and play reliability.

talia 19:25 04 Apr 2005

I thought these where the two best options but both you guys have helped with the installation already.....CHAMPIONS...

jonny5alive 19:47 04 Apr 2005

Hi guys,

I use AOL and have set up a Belkin ADSL modem/router on my PC with a USB 54g plug in to access the network. I have used a 54g PC card on the laptop. I have icons on both desktops showing correct installation. My son's work laptop detects the nerwork as Belkin 54g. I cannot access my pc or internet from my laptop.

Any ideas?

Jon.

JonnyTub 19:51 04 Apr 2005

post a new topic in the forum rather than in someone elses thread please and thankyou.

You'll get more help that way. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?