Wireless Network Adapter/Card

EmmaL47 16:14 06 Oct 2008

My laptop kept reminding me I was running out of disk space so I decided to free up some space using add/remove programs. I thought I was getting rid of ones I did not use, but since restarting I have been having problems with my wireless internet.
(The files are not in the recycle bin so I cant just restore them. I don't know what file I need either. )

The wireless just isnt picking anything up, and isnt even on. The buttons on the front of the laptop wont light up like it normally does and pressing them does nothing, it should turn the wireless adapter on/off.

Have tried downloading internet stuff from acer website, and have tried uninstalling the network cards which show up in device manager and then rebooting, but neither solves the problem.

any ideas?
I am using an acer aspire 5040, on windows xp, and am trying to connect to virgin media's wireless internet.

mgmcc 17:47 06 Oct 2008

Did the Laptop come with a separate CD containing Software/Drivers for the built-in hardware - network adapters, sound, graphics, modem etc? If so, you should be able to use that to reinstall the file(s) you deleted.

EmmaL47 17:49 06 Oct 2008

No, none of that. Everything was already loaded on the laptop.

mgmcc 19:40 06 Oct 2008

There are Wireless drivers for the Acer Aspire 5040 on this page - click here - but there are two different sets depending on whether your WiFi adapter is "Broadcom" or "Atheros".

EmmaL47 19:59 06 Oct 2008

I had tried downloading new drivers which for some reason made no difference.

Have just done a system restore, and whilst I had to do it a few times and go back to different checkpoints, it worked in the end.

Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?