wireless network is acquiring network address

Tu160m 02:06 06 Jan 2007

Hi, I know grrr posted on the same thing, but I have the same problem and the suggestions given there aren't working for me. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a HP laptop (the client causing the problem, my other wired computers work fine). Please help.

Ashrich 21:35 06 Jan 2007

What software are you using to manage the wireless connection ? Do you have any high strength wireless networks nearby ?

Ashley

Strawballs 00:42 07 Jan 2007

I have the same setup and I noticed yesterday that the icon in the tray had a small yellow dot bouncing back and forth saying that it was aquiring network address I waited for a while and got board waiting so I tried to connect to this site and it worked so I carried on using the net then a little time later I noticed the icon as connected, how can this happen.

Tu160m 20:07 07 Jan 2007

I dont use any particular software to connect to the network. I have several networks with high connectivity close by and I've used this network before, but I reset my router a couple of days ago, and since then, I haven't bin able to connect to this network. I use the built in Microsoft connectivity tools. I am currently connected to the net using my wired desktop connection.

Ashrich 22:23 07 Jan 2007

If you have done nothing new to the laptop but have reset the router then it is probably the router settings that are causing the problems , the wireless part in particular I suspect as nothing else has changed . What wireless settings have you entered ?.

Ashley

Ashrich 22:30 07 Jan 2007

Could it be something as simple as a mistyped security key ? ( WEP or WPA )

Ashley

Tu160m 23:57 08 Jan 2007

I know Im entering the corrext key, its saved on my laptop and router. But the issue, I think is that I might have reset the router settings when I reset it. How can I tell you what my wireless settings are? I know on my laptop, I got 0.0.0.0 for my IP address when I typed ipconfig. I have DHSC turned on and all the other things as they were supposed to be. Please help!!

Ashrich 08:39 09 Jan 2007

That means you are not getting an IP address from your router , and as the desktop PC is getting one then maybe it is the laptop after all , have you had a look in services ..start/run/services.msc ) and scroll down to DHCP client , make sure it is started and set to auto , same for DNS client and for good measure look also at the Windows wireless zero configuration and that it has the same settings as the others above , reboot then disable any firewalls on the laptop just to make sure , and try connecting again . As you reset the router nothing would be saved on it , double check the security key again or even set a new one .
Ashley

Tu160m 00:42 10 Jan 2007

Hi, I looked at the services, and all the settings are as you mentioned. The problem, I think is in the router settings. Can u please help me configure my router and laptop? Thank you very much.

Ashrich 18:54 10 Jan 2007

What level of wireless security are you using WEP or WPA ? whichever one try the other , reset your password for the router and laptop , something simple to start with , or just for a few minutes as a test , remove all security keys from the router and laptop and try connecting like that , to an unsecured network , if you can get onto the network like that it will be a start .

Ashley

Tu160m 03:33 11 Jan 2007

Im using WPA and I dont know how to reset my security system. When I tried to connect to an unsecured network, I had the same problem. So, I dont know what that means. I thought the problem was with my router settings, but I couldnt connect to another router either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017