Wireless Network

Daz35 14:55 23 Jun 2004

I know this topic has been covered loads of times, but I can't seem to find excatly what I need to know.

I have a desktop and a laptop networked together using cable B/B and a wireless g router.

The desktop goes straight into one of the port switches on the router via ethernet cable and the laptop uses the wireless bit, using a network card adapter.

This in itself works fine (wireless can be a bit hit or miss), but what I'd like to do is share files and printers.

I've tried using the network set up wizard, but it doesn't seem to work for my configuration.

Should have I done this before I installed the router?

I need a step by step guide to do this as I've tried all sorts of ways, all to no avail.

As well as the ethernet connection, I have a firewire port which the main PC is picking up as a net adapter. (I've never heard of anyone using this,could be wrong though!)

Both computers are running XP, desktop home and laptop Pro.

This is beginning to get up my nose now, so can anyone tell me the exact process for doing this.

If you need any more info on the system, please post back.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I also have used the laptop on a wired ethernet cable to the router when the wireless is a bit hit or miss.

Many thanks

Darren

CMON ENGLAND!!!

fitshase 15:36 23 Jun 2004

Let's tackle sharing the printer first:-

On your laptop, go to start\printers and faxes

Click on Add Printer (on the left pane)

Click next

Select "A Network Printer, or a printer attached......" and click next

Click Browse for a printer and then click next

Browse for your printer (make sure it is on) which is attached to the other machine

Follow the instructions from there.

Secondly, the file sharing:-

Have you shared any folders? (Right click on them in explorer and select Sharing and Security.

Tick the "Share this folder on the network" and give it a name.

Click OK.

Now, from the other computer, double click on My Computer on the desktop.

Click on My Network Places (pane on the left)

Click on Add a network place (pane on left)

Click next on the popup box

Select Choose another network location and click next

Click Browse

Click on the + next to Entire Network and then click the + next to Microsoft Windows Network

Select the machine on which you have shared the folder and the folder should be showing.

Select the folder and click on OK.

Click next and then give it a name and click OK.

Now, when you go into Explorer they should be listed under My Network Places (left pane).

Regards

Fitshase

Daz35 15:58 23 Jun 2004

Got to here, Browse for your printer (make sure it is on) which is attached to the other machine

Follow the instructions from there.

Under shared printers it says Microsoft Windows Network. I then type in the name of the printer, click next and it says:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.

When I put the name of the printer, do I need an address for it, or literally just what it is listed as on the desktop?

I did try the file sharing too and got to here: Select the machine on which you have shared the folder and the folder should be showing.

And it wasn't there! (machine or folder)

I'm not sure that I've set it all up correctly.

The two computers seem to be sharing an internet connection, but not much else.

Should I run the network wizard before installing the router or is that not the issue?

Any ideas gratefully received.
Cheers

fitshase 16:35 23 Jun 2004

I think the best idea would be to start from scratch (if you are able to).

Windows XP network wizard is very straightforward and easy to follow. If you hit any more problems then post back.

Regards

Fitshase

Daz35 16:54 23 Jun 2004

Thanks for your efforts fitshase.

I really need to know whether to run the network wizard before installing the router etc

Everytime I try the network wizard (although it's simple)it doesn't have the options I want.

Also, after I've run the network wizard on the desktop, copied it and run it on the laptop, it's not finding the wireless bit, only the ethernet connection.

Any ideas anyone?

Daz35 01:00 24 Jun 2004

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?