wireless network

mitey_won 13:54 01 Jun 2004

Ive got 2 pcs at home (one upstairs & one downstais) so am looking at setting up a wireless connection to share broadband and 1 printer and a scanner.
However, not really to sure about the set-up.
At the mo have regular broadband modem attached to one pc via usb and into the splitter at the other end.

How would it work with, say, a combo wireless modem/router set-up for 2 pc's? Would I just plug the wirless modem/router into the splitter and install a wireless network adapter for each pc?

And what is a wireless access point?

Any help appreciated.

AndySD 14:30 01 Jun 2004

Would I just plug the wirless modem/router into the splitter and install a wireless network adapter for each pc?

Yes although some configuration will be needed.

Its almost impossable to share a scanner.

An access point is used to connect the pcs if you connect to the internet through another device/gateway. As en example you connect the moden to a hardware firewall then the access point to the firewall to share the connection.

mitey_won 15:19 01 Jun 2004

thanks Andy.
what standard should I go for? Is 11mbs data transfer fast enuff or should I go for the 82.11g standard (54mbs i think).
Apologies if i've not got a grasp of the terminology yet.

AndySD 16:50 01 Jun 2004

11mbs is fast enough for sharing the internet (the very best speed for an internet connection is 3mb on broadband) and the printer. I use 54g but its more expensive... only I tend to move large files between the pc's and Notebook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires