Wireless network

  carrie-anne 12:01 24 Apr 2004

I have a dell dimension 2400 with ethernet 10/100
installed .And have just purchased tiny pc does this mean that I only have to get a router and 1 adapter for the tiny pc.

  mgmcc 12:30 24 Apr 2004

If your Dell has 10/100 Mbps network adapter installed, that is not a "wireless" connection.

What you need to get depends on what you are trying to do:

- simple file and printer sharing?

- internet connection sharing:
-- ADSL broadband?
-- Cable broadband?
-- Dialup connection?

In its simplest form you can set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network by installing a wireless network adapter in each PC. From here, you can then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection of the PC that connects to the modem. This does, of course, require that the 'host' PC is running before the 'client' PC can connect to the internet. For Internet Connection Sharing, the 'host' PC must be running Windows 98SE or later, it isn't supported in first edition 98 or 95.

Next step up, if you want the PCs to be able to access the internet independently (without relying on a 'host' being switched on), would be to use a router and, if you want to be "wireless", you need a Wireless Router. However, if the router is located beside one of the PCs, that PC could be connected by ethernet cable with only the remote PC being "wireless".

  carrie-anne 12:39 24 Apr 2004

Thanks for that all I want to do is ,for my son who has his dell,which at the moment in the frontroom connected to main phone line. I will be getting a tiny pc which I will put in my room and connect to a second phone line to broadband.But would like to put his computer in his room which has no phone line and connect to broadband and rather than pay for another broadband connection both use the same one through the second line.

  SEASHANTY 14:05 24 Apr 2004

Perhaps this website can illustrate what you would need for ADSL wireless Broadband connections
click here

  mgmcc 14:29 24 Apr 2004

OK, as it appears that you want to have independent access without your PC having to run before your son can connect to the internet, I would suggest installing a Wireless Network Adapter in your son's PC (either a PCI card or USB). Get a Wireless Router with built-in ADSL modem and connect that to your new PC with an ethernet cable. Then set up the 'wireless' connection between router and son's PC. Your new PC will almost certainly already have a (wired) network adapter installed.

  carrie-anne 15:01 24 Apr 2004

He also has a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller.Will this be needed also.

  mgmcc 15:11 24 Apr 2004

<<He also has a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller.Will this be needed also.>>

No, that's a network adapter for a normal 'wired' ethernet connection. It is the type of adapter you will need in your new PC to connect to the Router, if you go along with the suggestion in my previous message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires