Wireless netowrking with laptop

User-312386 19:05 13 Feb 2010

Hi all

I have bought a second hand laptop with a wireless lan card (Cisco Aironet 350 series).

Now my router has WPA-PSK and also WEP - Now i understand the Cisco card is Wep - i have tried to change the router to WEP and nothing happens and I have to reset it via the Router itself!

I need to be able to use my PC and Laptop wirelessly but i cant seem to be able to!

My PC will not connect via WEP and i was wondering if it something within the settings of the PC as well!

Just need a little help guys. Thanks

tullie 19:07 13 Feb 2010

Silly question i know but have you swithed the wireless on?

User-312386 19:07 13 Feb 2010

Do i have to get another wireless card click here= which i assume does WPA-PSK

User-312386 19:08 13 Feb 2010

It does not have an on/off switch as it is a card you slot in - well i cant see an off/switch for it!

retep888 19:38 13 Feb 2010

Have you made sure you've changed to WEP of which you've to configure under wireless settings , save and apply?

Have you made up a new WEP code, depending on the encryption type, should be either 10 or 26 combination of A-F and 0-9.

From your PC ,can you find your network so that you can type in the new password and connect?

ame 20:17 13 Feb 2010

By the way, before anyone else says it, WEP is a bit old hat and not too secure. Perhaps your router will give you the option to use both at the same time?

retep888 20:34 13 Feb 2010

" Perhaps your router will give you the option to use both at the same time?"

That's a new feature to me. :-)

By the way my system is running on both WPA and WEP with the help of a wireless access point because some hardwares don't support WPA.

User-312386 20:47 13 Feb 2010

Hi all - I have sorted it. I didnt know you could right click the connections and select properties and then change the Desktop adaptor to WEP. However, would i be better off buying a new plug in adaptor that i assume has WPA!

retep888 - all my wireless access points support WPA except the laptop. Would the laptop support a WPA card such as this click here

Thanks for all your help

retep888 20:55 13 Feb 2010

That'll do the job nicely, I have a similar pci type in one of the desktops and am quite happy with the performance.

Oh, don' t forget to go for the web price, reserve and collect.

ame 21:02 13 Feb 2010

WPA and/or WPA2 was what I was thinking about. Sorry.

retep888 21:04 13 Feb 2010

That'll do the job nicely, I have a similar pci type in one of the desktops and am quite happy with the performance.

Oh, don' t forget to go for the web price, reserve and collect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?