Wireless net, setting up pc and laptop & security

ShorN 19:07 25 Nov 2006

Hello all.

I am trying to help set up my parents internet at their house.
They currently have a bt broadband package and had one desktop PC that was connected via a usb modem.

They have recently purchased a WiFi enabled laptop and want to connect both these to the internet so they have purchased a D-Link DSL-G624T wireless router, which came with a D-Link DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter.

The idea is to plug this into the Desktop to use the internet and and the laptop should be OK as it is already enabled.

Now the Router is plugged in and all lights are normal, when teh laptop is turnt on it auto detects a D-Link wireless network (with excellent strength) and it states that this is "unsecured"

I can now, without any further settings access teh internet using this, although I am sure that this is not ideal.

Does anyone know how I go about setting up a secure wireless connection so that no one outside the house can use this connection, whilst the desktop PC shoudl be allowed to connect to it through the USB adapter

Strawballs 19:18 25 Nov 2006

This one would be better in the network forum but this might help
click here

VoG II 19:20 25 Nov 2006

There should be an address that you enter to access the router's setup. On my Belkin it is 192.168.2.1 but yours is probably different - check the manual. If you access this on the desktop it should take you to a page where you can set encryption and a password and personalise the name of the router - e.g it could be ShorN instead of D-Link DSL-G624T.

Diodorus Siculus 19:23 25 Nov 2006

click here and login to your router.

Under setup tab, click on Wireless

Choose either WEP or WPA encryption.

WEP is less secure but adequate for home; WPA is not recognised by some older hardware.

Whichever you choose, put in the key and follow instructions.

Then click your way out of the pages.

You may have to disconnect the laptop from the network and re-create the connection. All should work; If you are on XP SP2 the request to enter the key will come up.

ShorN 19:27 25 Nov 2006

thanks for the links and info.
In addition, will the desktop pc that has teh usb adapter need any additional settings? I would like them to both be connected to teh internet at the same time if possible?

VoG II 19:29 25 Nov 2006

They should both be able to connect simultaneously - that's what a router does.

ShorN 20:25 25 Nov 2006

thanks for that, ive now connected the laptop and set up a secure connection so a password is needed. One last question...
is it possible to make the laptop automically connect to this wireless network upon booting up with out the need to manually enter the password

Diodorus Siculus 21:37 25 Nov 2006

It should connect if the adaptor is turned on. Mine does at least although if it didn't I'm not sure how I'd make it do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?