Wireless but needs wires?

eric12 21:33 25 Jan 2007

Got a wireless router (Netgear DG834GT), the instructions for installation say that to connect the router to the desktop with an RJ-45 cable.
Do you think this is just for the installation or would be meant to be permanent? i.e. I don't really have a wireless network! The instructions don't say and neither does AOL and it supports this wireless router!

Perhaps I am just being dippy but it is very confusing as clearly I want something where I don't have to the desk top connected by a wire to the phone line. Mainly because previously we've been told that we can't have the cable any longer than it is and so we had to move the computer in order to get broadband.

Strawballs 21:50 25 Jan 2007

Your router is a wireless router and you willonly need to connect via wire to set up the wireless and encryption once set up the wire can be removed and it should run on wireless as long as your encryption is the same on your adapter as the router.

click here I recomend this site a lot becaue it saves me a lot of typing.

mgmcc 09:02 26 Jan 2007

The initial configuration of a "wireless" router has to be performed with a "wired" connection because of the "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot connect wirelessly because it isn't configured and you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly, hence using a cable to set it up.

dms05 11:20 26 Jan 2007

As others say you will need to move your PC close to the Router to set up with the supplied cable. However it's only the router that needs to be near the telephone connection. You can use a long Network cable from your router to your PC - I have one 50m long and you can buy them up to 100m long. But in your case move the PC to set the system up and leave it close to the router until you are sure the WiFi is working OK, then move the PC back to it's original position.

jarani 23:51 29 Jan 2007

Strawballs - thanks - good link - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?