Wireless N will I need to add a wireless card

shadespug 17:11 15 Feb 2009

I have a Fujitsu Amilo 2540 laptop that I got in December 2008.

I currently use a Netgear DG834G modem/router, but I want my father to be able to access the internet via my modem/router, my father lives next door, at present my father cannot receive the wireless connection as the signal is too weak.

I assume a Wireless N modem/router would have a further range than the present Netgear DG834G that I have. I was wanting to know if I got one of the Netgear Wireless N type of modem/routers, would I need to purchase any additional hardware for my Fujitsu laptop to make use of the Wireless N, and the same question for my fathers laptop, my fathers laptop is roughly 3-4 years old but it is cabable of receiving wireless internet has I have used this laptop on my router in the past.

mgmcc 20:51 15 Feb 2009

Depending on what "next door" means, would it be feasible to run an ethernet cable from your existing router into your father's house? A separate wireless "Cable/DSL" router could then be connected to the ethernet cable to provide him with reliable "wireless" access.

Alternatively, if considering replacement of your existing router, it might be MIMO that you want to look at, although I have no personal experience of the technology. To benefit fully, computers connecting to a MIMO router would also need to be using MIMO Wireless Network Adapters.

shadespug 21:32 15 Feb 2009

Thanks for the reply mgmcc.

My father lives in the next block of semi detached houses along from me, this is what I mean by next door. So it would not be feasible to run a Ethernet cable.

In a nutshell I basically want a type of wireless connection that will have a further reaching range than what I currently have.

Tech Guy 20:05 16 Feb 2009

shadespug

You would need to buy a well known brand of N router. Netgear/Linksys/Belkin etc.

Then a N wireless network adapter is needed, look in the argos catolog for examples.

DO NOT buy a cheapo from ebay - rubbish! You will regret it.

I use N and can get a internet connection in my garage which is 20/25 metres from the house.

But it all depends on how far the houses are apart and how thick the walls are and where in both houses the router and laptop is. If the houses are 10 metres apart this should not be a prob.

Buy from argos, doesn't work take them back - not harm no foul!

shadespug 20:59 19 Feb 2009

Thanks very much for all the help its much appreciated. I'll consider all the advice I have been given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?