Wireless N

01chris 13:07 31 Jul 2008

Forgive the stupid question but - is the new wirless N standard finalised yet? Or is it still in "Draft" versions?

If I buy an 'N' product from one manufacturer is it guaranteed to work with an 'N' product from a different manufacturer?

Thanks

ambra4 16:17 31 Jul 2008

"new wirless N standard finalized yet?"

NO

"If I buy an 'N' product from one manufacturer is it guaranteed to work with an 'N' product from a different manufacturer?"

The simple answer is YES

01chris 16:25 31 Jul 2008

Thanks ambra4,

Do you know if they have set a deadline for finalizing the standard yet?

ambra4 17:30 31 Jul 2008

No not as yet just have to keep reading the technical notes on wireless systems

Who knows tomorrow some company might come out with a new standard called “Draft P”

ambra4 19:02 31 Jul 2008

Draft N Update

Work on the 802.11n standard dates back to 2004.
The draft is expected to be finalized in March 2009; with publication in December 2009, but major manufacturers are now releasing 'pre-N', 'draft n' or 'MIMO-based' products based on early specs.

These vendors anticipate the final version will not be significantly different from the draft, and in a bid to get the early mover advantage, are pushing ahead with the technology.

Depending on the manufacturer, a firmware update may eventually be able to make current "Draft-N" hardware compatible with the final version.

01chris 18:48 01 Aug 2008

Thanks all.

Looks like I will go ahead an buy a "Draft N" router then as I'm not waiting that long!

Can anyone recommend a good wireless N broadband router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie