Wireless N

01chris 13:07 31 Jul 2008

Forgive the stupid question but - is the new wirless N standard finalised yet? Or is it still in "Draft" versions?

If I buy an 'N' product from one manufacturer is it guaranteed to work with an 'N' product from a different manufacturer?

Thanks

ambra4 16:17 31 Jul 2008

"new wirless N standard finalized yet?"

NO

"If I buy an 'N' product from one manufacturer is it guaranteed to work with an 'N' product from a different manufacturer?"

The simple answer is YES

01chris 16:25 31 Jul 2008

Thanks ambra4,

Do you know if they have set a deadline for finalizing the standard yet?

ambra4 17:30 31 Jul 2008

No not as yet just have to keep reading the technical notes on wireless systems

Who knows tomorrow some company might come out with a new standard called “Draft P”

ambra4 19:02 31 Jul 2008

Draft N Update

Work on the 802.11n standard dates back to 2004.
The draft is expected to be finalized in March 2009; with publication in December 2009, but major manufacturers are now releasing 'pre-N', 'draft n' or 'MIMO-based' products based on early specs.

These vendors anticipate the final version will not be significantly different from the draft, and in a bid to get the early mover advantage, are pushing ahead with the technology.

Depending on the manufacturer, a firmware update may eventually be able to make current "Draft-N" hardware compatible with the final version.

01chris 18:48 01 Aug 2008

Thanks all.

Looks like I will go ahead an buy a "Draft N" router then as I'm not waiting that long!

Can anyone recommend a good wireless N broadband router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?